Rehabbing a barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A friend got a whiskey barrel. beer was aged in the barrel, it was very good! we did 2 batches through that barrel, got worried about infection.

I have a friend who wants to rehab said barrel. the plan is...

Pull it apart, and manually re-toast it.
put whiskey in to reabsorb.
BEER!

as you can see this is not a well planned plan.

Has anyone done this? thoughts?

If you're worried about infection, turn it upside down and burn sulphur underneath it.

If you pull a barrel apart, scrape the char off, re-char then attempt to add whiskey back....that's going to be a LOT of whiskey....

I don't honestly know what I'm talking about, but don't you need to shave off a thin layer from the inside if you're going to be re-toasting it and re-using it? Hopefully someone with some more experience will step in.

If you pull a barrel apart, scrape the char off, re-char then attempt to add whiskey back....that's going to be a LOT of whiskey....

i think were resigned to not a huge whiskey flavor.

if we scrape and add in 1.75L and rotate regularly it should all absorb fairly fast!

I think you'll potentially need to rehydrate the barrel once it's back together to prevent leaking.

Latest posts

Back