02 Inline Injector = Ghetto ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbowenz

Reaction score
Thought I would show off my Oxy-Injector to get some thoughts, I am in process of replacing the brass with SS fittings, but what makes me ghetto is the sightglass is one of my slide guitar glasses( I never liked the tone of those cheesy Dunlap slides anyway), plus it's pyrex, so it should be easy to clean and sanitize. Not shown is the filter stone, it will contect in the tee via a hose, add some turbidity to the flow of cooled wort, and I can see (via the sightglass ) the o2 process on it's way out to my fermenter. ** I havevn't yet cut the gasket material for the flow, I am waiting on two small flanges:

Thoughts?
O2injector005.jpg

O2injector007.jpg

O2injector001.jpg

Wait, so this contraption is supposed to inject O2 as the wort leaves the kettle on the way to the fermenter? What an awesome idea! Do you have a parts write-up/cost for this?

Very cool. What is the small diameter tubing for? I plan on putting the same type of thing together for the output of the CFC but plan to use a threaded stainless Tee instead of compression. I'll skip the sight glass because I have a medical regulator so I can dial in the flow without seeing.

EvilTOJ said:
Wait, so this contraption is supposed to inject O2 as the wort leaves the kettle on the way to the fermenter? What an awesome idea! Do you have a parts write-up/cost for this?

Almost, post or outflow of the plate chiller, right before the fermenter, I have seen something like this on commercial brewerys, and thought I could do something similar. If you buy one, they are like upwards of $ 350.00 , of course all stainless with tri clover fittings, but really aside from my fittings, which I will replace with stainless steel, the glass on the pro ones are pyrex too. This glass cost me I think 4 dollars from any music store. the flanges are pipe hanger/type, they are 1/2" npt, and then just some hex bolts to hold it all together/take apart and clean.

The copper small tube connects to my O2 source, then to some plastic tubing to a O2 stone in the center of the sight glass. With brass fittings, I would guess it cost about 20 bucks to put this together. Gasket material by the sheet, just cut to fit, I am waiting on some small fanges to install where the glass meets the walls of the larger flange.

That is super-cool. A parts list when you get done would be sweet. Although I'd just buy one from you if you wanted to sell 'em.

I've got one of those thin Dunlop slides too, and this is a far better use for it! (They do make thick-wall ones too, BTW.)

Nice piece of work, very impressive. I'd love to see the "ghetto" that produced that!

Yep, this is how we do it at the brewery, but larger scale.

And yes, we use stainless, tri-clamp fittings, but the concept is the same: Aerate on the fly.

Good job!

:mug:

Is that 1/4" od sweated into 1/2" od copper? How did you make the transition?

big t said:
Is that 1/4" od sweated into 1/2" od copper? How did you make the transition?

I cut out from a sheet of copper, what was almost a penny, then drilled out a 1/4" hole in the center, then just soldered away, the key is everything must be really clean to get it to be a tight connection, I have had lots of practice .

Good Job. I think that if I were to try it I would mill a bushing on the lathe.

I thought about making one, but then I started using the grant I have right before it goes to the fermenter. I just oxygenate with a corny dip-tube wand with a airstone on the tip connected with vinyl tubing to one of those small bernzomatic O2 bottles and regulator. Nice setup though man. Not ghetto in the least bit. What are the flanges made of, and will they touch the wort/beer? If they are galvanized I wouldn't use them unless they have no chance of touching the beer (ie, if your gasket and copper/brass fittings prevent this).

Almost, post or outflow of the plate chiller, right before the fermenter, I have seen something like this on commercial brewerys, and thought I could do something similar. If you buy one, they are like upwards of $ 350.00 , of course all stainless with tri clover fittings, but really aside from my fittings, which I will replace with stainless steel, the glass on the pro ones are pyrex too. This glass cost me I think 4 dollars from any music store. the flanges are pipe hanger/type, they are 1/2" npt, and then just some hex bolts to hold it all together/take apart and clean.

The copper small tube connects to my O2 source, then to some plastic tubing to a O2 stone in the center of the sight glass. With brass fittings, I would guess it cost about 20 bucks to put this together. Gasket material by the sheet, just cut to fit, I am waiting on some small fanges to install where the glass meets the walls of the larger flange.

I just found this thread, wanting to do something similar myself. Question: Are those pipe flanges galvanized? Stainless ones are pretty expensive, but I don't want to use galvanized...

Thanks,
Phill

I just found this thread, wanting to do something similar myself. Question: Are those pipe flanges galvanized? Stainless ones are pretty expensive, but I don't want to use galvanized...

Thanks,
Phill

They are galvanized, but because of the gasket and sight-glass they never touch wort. Honestly, if you can swing it, pay 85 bucks and get a pro-triclover one, till you find and buy stainless flanges, bolts, gaskets, you are probably better off just buying one.

They are galvanized, but because of the gasket and sight-glass they never touch wort. Honestly, if you can swing it, pay 85 bucks and get a pro-triclover one, till you find and buy stainless flanges, bolts, gaskets, you are probably better off just buying one.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I have another idea that I am going to try. I ordered the glass slides. Once they come, I will post my success or failure. I hope to do this pretty cheap.

Back