How to calculate PreBoil Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenArmBrewing

Reaction score
I've been stuck with some pretty bad efficiency lately, and I'm trying to hone on what might be going wrong. I use QBrew software, but it doesn't calculate PreBoil gravity. Any Ideas how to calculate this???

I'm thinging if I miss this, I could always boil down a quart or so more. Less volume is not what I'd like but . . .

Well It was supposed to be a Terripan Rye Pale Ale, but someone forgot to order the magnum hops -_- So, Amarillo for the bittering instead . . . Oh Well

pre-boil volume = 8 gals
pre-boil gravity = ??
post-boil volume = 6 gals
post-boil gravity = 1.050

So, to calculate pre-boil SG for a 1.050 target OG would then be:
(post-boil volume/pre-boil volume) x (post-boil gravity -1) =
(6/8) x (1.050-1) = .75 x .05 = 0.0375 +1 = 1.038 rounded up

I think:confused:

I worked that link....looks like i was at 70% efficiency ..... I don't know how to get it better . . . . bigger mash tun?? There's one a 10 gallon at Lowe's now for 40 bucks....I work there, so it may suffer some "missing pieces" for a better price ...lol...don't need that spigot any way

Spend $30.00 and get a decent refractometer, and you won't have to calculate anything. They are perfect for preboil gravity readings!

70% efficiency is good using a cooler tun (anything between 60-75% is good/normal). I use a 10 gallon cooler for my tun and its perfect for my 5 gallon batches. I did a brew last weekend that had 20lbs of grain and 8 gallons of strike water, with a little room to spare even (though not much...)! What size batches are you doing?

2 hours later and I've got some ambitious yeast! Consistent airlock activity. Was a washed California 2 in a 2 liter starter. So far happy!

Latest posts

Back