Odd Smell/Taste In Freshly Bottled Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojzis

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a question about taste I'm hoping someone can answer for me. Ill start with the equipment, recipe and process I'm using.

I use a plastic water carboy for a fermentation container. I use an oxidative sanitizer for every piece of equipment and bottles. I use a 10 gal cooler/mash tun to mash and sparge. I do a batch sparge.

Okay now the problem (if any). A few months ago I made my first batch of beer. It was an all grain Amber Ale. Long story short I watered it down (no sparging) and tossed it eventually. However it had an odd taste to it. It was pretty awful, my closest comparison is to the band-aid taste I have read about.

A few weeks ago I made an all grain Hoegaarden clone. Everything went well, all my readings were perfect and I was quite happy with the product. I then fermented it in my water cooler fermentor for 10 days. Only ten days because my readings were where they should be only 5 days in, so I bottled after 5 more days. However I noticed the same smell. Band-aid like smell. That made me worried. I tried one of these bottles today (about 3 days after bottling) and I could taste it still. Its not as bad as the first batch, but it really makes me not want to drink any more.

So my question: is this normal? Is this the green taste I read about? Or could I be missing something important (like a real carboy)? Could it be from a lack of wort chiller and creation of DMS (I used cold water around the pot to cool it)? I know I should let it sit for a while. I'm not too worried, just curious about other's experiences.

I didn't see anything about your brewing water. Are you using tap, bottled, something else? I would start by checking your water.

I use tap water. I haven't done any sort of tests on it either. Sadly I don't know whats in it. What should I do to check the water?

I use tap water. I haven't done any sort of tests on it either. Sadly I don't know whats in it. What should I do to check the water?

Usually that "band aid" taste is from chlorine or chloramines in the brewing water. Chlorine can be boiled off, by preboiling your water, but chloramines can not. The treatment for either is to use one campden tablet (crushed) stirred into 20 gallons of brewing water (or 1/2 tablet in 10 gallons). You can do that the night before you brew if it's convenient.

To get a water test, a sample sent to Ward Lab is great. I think I paid about $16 for the tests I needed for brewing.

Thanks for a quick reply and hopefully a solution. I will look into acquiring the campden tablets. I have two batches in process so hopefully next time i'll have bought these tablets.

Any chance the taste could mellow out in a few weeks?

It is mellowing out. It actually is starting to taste great! I'm sorry for worrying like a noob

Back