JAOM or Bloody good Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMCMatt

Reaction score
Attack for the Oxygen Stone "Bloody Good Mead"

Obviously something needs to go wrong apparently everytime I make anything. Luckily enough everything has tasted fine so what the hell.

I decide to tackle mead due to the fact I'm tired of seeing this 1 gal container sitting around doing nothing and the mrs. asking me if I'm ever going to do something with it (ie: throw it out)

I decide to buy a cosplay warhammer off ebay and make some mead (I'm still working on growing out the massive beard)

mead01.jpg

yea yea yea it's not exactly 1 gallon but damn close, it's that bottle they use for that gross grocery store sangria with the hallucinating colors and nasty after taste.

chop chop!

mead03.jpg

mead06.jpg

Look what I just bought!

IMG_2372.jpg

Why is the tube diameter so much smaller then the airstone?!?! Screw it I'll push it in really hard (I've said the same thing to the wife)

ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG!

mead04.jpg

hand slips off and blood is everywhere, in the bottle, on the fruit, I think I've severed an artery! ok maybe it wasn't that bad, it was more of a scrape that didn't even bleed a while.. I had to wait a minute to even get a picture of it but I thought it would make for a good story.

mead11.jpg

ZOOOOOOOOOOM

****... I better move it to the sink, it's foaming everywhere and Mrs is about to wake up

mead13.jpg

Ta Daaaaa

mead15.jpg

I put a pack of MrBeer yeast i had in there and topped it off with some bread yeast this is a very sloppy mix but if it turns out bad after a year I'll just bash it with my War Hammer.

You need yourself a better regulator on your oxygen!

What? That doesn't even make sense. You know that's the standard homebrew reg for the small home depot bottles right, were you expecting some large tank with multi valves?

What? That doesn't even make sense. You know that's the standard homebrew reg for the small home depot bottles right, were you expecting some large tank with multi valves?
I'm saying that if you were aerating with that tank and you got that much foam, it looks like you were pushing too much oxygen too quickly.

Yeah I've since learned from the owner of Wyeast that a slow push for 1 minute is the best way to do it and slow is better then fast.

My JAOM has a couple weeks left to go but man out of the blue it cleared pretty good, nearly see though.

I had a bunch of stuff left over so Saturday I made a pineapple/orange and a blackberry version.

8 hours later the Blackberry was about to blow, I had to take the tip off my bottle filler and make a quick DIY blowoff system lol.

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2708.jpg

Back