Adding commercial wine to "dry" out the wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
Working on a 5 gal batch of Gewurztraminer/Date/Fig Mead, and I thought it was going to turn out more fruity and I sorbated/backsweetened with wine concentrate but now that I've tasted it (about 3.5 months old) it actually developed alot of earthy tones that might work better with some oak, but should maybe be a little drier. What's the most neutral white wine I could add to this? It feels like I'm wrecking something that could turn out pretty well, but I think it will be a much better dry or off dry than a semi-sweet. Morale of the story I guess, don't backsweeten until you're sure of the flavors that are developing.

Im not saying this is a good idea, I'm sure others will come along with better ones, but if you hit it with a yeast starter you might be able to get it going again and dry it out that way.

Why not just ferment a little more mead and blend it in?

I don't have a good answer about the wine but another thought is that depending on how dry you need to go adding the oak might provide enough tannins to make it seem dry without actually being dry.

Why not just ferment a little more mead and blend it in?

I don't have a good answer about the wine but another thought is that depending on how dry you need to go adding the oak might provide enough tannins to make it seem dry without actually being dry.

I think that's what I'm leaning towards. To compare it to a wine style, it seems like an earthy kind of chardonnay with alot of body, and perhaps the oak will cover some of that acidity. I think the SG is around 1.10 or so. Not sure how much oak I should start with, maybe an ounce to start?

Back