Fly sparge too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
Well, while brewing my AG cream ale, my fly sparging that was suppose to take 10 min. Actually took 30 min. How is this going to effect my brew

The only downside that I know of to a slower fly sparge is that it takes more time. If anything, you may get a little bit better efficiency with the slower sparge.

As you can tell I'm new to brewing and just want to know what to expect. Thinner beer perhaps ?

No. Probably thicker if anything. If you are fky sparging, it should take longer than 10min in my opinion.

by thinner do you mean watered down? if so then no because you are using the same amount of water just rinsing the grain slower

So would you recommend having a longer fly sparge or sticking to instructions

FYI I used boiling water??!! Should that make a def. 211*

Soooo pist my fourth batch and every time I get a low OG!!!!! WTF

So would you recommend having a longer fly sparge or sticking to instructions

If you're getting instructions to fly sparge for only 10 min, don't follow any directions that came from the same source. To properly extract the sugars through fly sparging takes a long time, usually 45 min to an hour. If anything you want to slow the flow and extend the time it takes to sparge even longer.

Soooo pist my fourth batch and every time I get a low OG!!!!! WTF

Could be a lot of things. What is the rest of your process? How are the grains crushed? How are you doughing in, and at what mash thickness? Are you doing a mash-out? Have you calibrated your hydrometer and thermometers?

Back