Brown Rice Syrup -vs- Rice Syrup solids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trollby

Reaction score
Is there really any differents in what the users here have seen other than the LME -vs- DME comparison?

I mean The syrup solids are dry like DME and if you hydrate is about 1.3# Rice syrup so more per # in dry form

Or am I totaly off and there is differenaces that you should use each for certain applications.

Thanks

I didn't find rice syrup solids for a mojito beer recipe so used the same quantity of rice syrup and the mojito beer turned out great!

I didn't notice any difference between the two, but I haven't tested them out, only used a tiny bit once. I usually don't see the solids available at my lhbs, so I just get the syrup from the local health food store (lhfs?) aka whole foods in my area.

The other issue is that I don't know if they are processed from a non gluten source. Brown rice syrup, and the dehydrated syrup solids, are processed in either in a gluten based process (using barley enzymes), or a gluten free process, using fungal enzymes.

Brown rice syrup will say if it is gluten free. For example, Lundenberg: "Lundberg Family Farms 26 May
@Amy - for our brown rice syrup, the rice is cultured with fungal enzymes NOT barley sprout enzymes so it is Gluten-Free :)"

If I were able to get briess syrup solids, I'd get that, perhaps in a rather large bag (20-50 pounds maybe?) just so I wouldn't have to keep trying to think of things to do with those darn used Lundenberg jars.

If it's not briess, or Lundenberg, research it and find out if it is gluten free using fungal enzymes. Because otherwise, it uses barley enzymes, and the effect of that would be like us using malted barley along with brown rice to get our own conversion.

Gonna give this a bump to ask if rice syrup solids are effective to use for a gluten free yeast starter? If so, at what ratio to the water? Planning on a 1000 mL starter.

Latest posts

Back