Wyeast 3056 vs 3068

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schrock

Reaction score
I am going to start my second brew tomorrow. I am going to try to do a Maple Wheat Ale and I got the recipe from Clonebrews second edition. One problem I ran into today, and maybe I am making this into a bigger deal than it needs to be, but my local supplier did not carry wyeast 3056 and the beer expert working there suggested that I use 3068 instead. So I purchased the 3068 yeast. After getting home and reading a little bit about the differences between these two yeasts my major concern now is that I will be able to tell a significant deviation in taste from using the 3068 which gives a banana like taste where the 3056 is more neutral. Should I go with the 3068 or try and find 3056 from somewhere else? Both of these yeast are for a Weizenbock which is what my Maple Wheat Ale is.

Thanks for any help.

Because you are brewing a weizenbock, which is more caramelly/cocoa-like by nature, the banana esters will be very subdued and practically undetectable. The Weihenstephan Weizen yeast is a great strain, and probably superior IMHO. I am literally brewing a Weizenbock and fermenting with 3068 tomorrow, so just go for it!

If you're worried about banana esters you can also make sure to ferment it at the cooler end of the spectrum, like 66 degree or so, which will give more balance towards cloves.

Rev.

Back