satsuma tangerine wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI!

I'm actually making some satsuma wine right now! This is the recipe I'm making (#2) http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques33.asp. I actually had a bunch of satsumas b/c a friend has a tree and gave me some. What I did to convert from orange to satsumas is I weighed a medium size orange and multiplied that weight X8 for how many lbs of satsumas I needed. I think it was like 7 lbs/gallon. I'm going to be making a 2 gallon batch and will be doubling all of the ingredients. Since I haven't gone to the LHBS lately, I don't have my yeast and other additives yet, but yesterday I peeled, seeded, and froze all of those dang satsumas (took like an hour and a half). Whenever I get my yeast and stuff, I'll be making it though.

I'm a Noob and no idea what Satsuma means... but I'm going to be working on a Tangerine wine myself later this week. I just picked up some Tannin as per the Jack Keller Recipe above and will be working on at least 1 gallon to start. This is going to be fun.

its just the type of tangerine. this time of the year they are everywhere here and are really sweet and tangy. I think im going to try and use my blackberry wine recipe and just use my oranges instead of blackberries, i dunno how well its going to turn out but its only a one gallon batch. Im just playing around cause im new at this too. but i havent gotten to the tannin or all that stuff yet, im just using fruit, yeast, water, sugar. and some extra sweetening at the end when i bottle.

@ halfpint
I robbed my neighbors satsuma tree and after i peeled em all i came out with a gallon and 1/2 ziploc bag of em. Did you ever get that batch made up? and if so how did it turn out?

I found with any citrus wine, don't let it sit on the gross lees for more than 5 days. Just finished drinking a Rose Hip/Hibiscus/Satsuma wine. It was very good, but it probably would have been better if I had aged it longer.

Back