Alternative to Faucet Lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dxp1113

Reaction score
Ok, so a faucet lock is 50 bucks, i recently installed a lock on my kegerator so i can put a check valve on the liquid out line so i can just turn that every time i want to keep the beer from flowing. Anyone know were i can find a check valve for the liquid line? I found a plastic one on rebel brewer, but im afraid it will fall apart cause its assembly is plastic.

Honestly, the easiest thing is to merely disconnect the liquid connector from the keg. Then a cursory pull from the curious 2 year old produces nothing. If the perpetrator is older, add a door lock to that and your problem is basically solved.
If they are not related to you and crafty enough to defeat those precautions, then barbed wire and a judiciously applied claymore may be in order!

Honestly, the easiest thing is to merely disconnect the liquid connector from the keg. Then a cursory pull from the curious 2 year old produces nothing. If the perpetrator is older, add a door lock to that and your problem is basically solved.
If they are not related to you and crafty enough to defeat those precautions, then barbed wire and a judiciously applied claymore may be in order!

Is the disconnect closed wen not connected? for example if there is a little beer in the line and its disconnected, will it pour out if the tap is pulled? Plus i feel like adding the valves would make it impossible for beer to drip.

The liquid disconnect has a spring check valve in it. Removing it closes and, if I remember correctly, makes pulling the faucet like trying to suck on a vacuum.

There was a thread somewhere about using controlled valves hooked up to a microcontroller, which has a keypad attached. It basically morphs into something similar to this....

security.png

An old TV remote and receiver sending the signal to the TV's power on/off switch feeding a SSR that controls the valves before the tower taps. Include a way to lock the refrigerator. Simple, no, effective yes.
At another angle use a garage door closer controller and receiver to switch the your SSR's. What the kids or granny getting into your brews?

An old TV remote and receiver sending the signal to the TV's power on/off switch feeding a SSR that controls the valves before the tower taps. Include a way to lock the refrigerator. Simple, no, effective yes.
At another angle use a garage door closer controller and receiver to switch the your SSR's. What the kids or granny getting into your brews?

what is a ssr?

Solid-state relay.

It's an electronic switch with 0 mechanical parts. You send a reference voltage into it when you want on or off(depending on what you want). This allows another input voltage(say, 120VAC) to continue on it's merry way.

taplock.jpg

..an idea my buddy came up with to solve a similar problem. he ended up putting his keggerator in his garage rather than his porch so we didn't do it... but i figured i'd throw it out there.

just be sure you place the rod on the actual faucet and not the handle, so that it isn't possible to screw off the handle and still use it.

but yeah, not the best solution but it does make it much harder or effort required

taplock.jpg

..an idea my buddy came up with to solve a similar problem. he ended up putting his keggerator in his garage rather than his porch so we didn't do it... but i figured i'd throw it out there.

just be sure you place the rod on the actual faucet and not the handle, so that it isn't possible to screw off the handle and still use it.

I'm going to have to build something like this. Not so much to prevent the kiddies from drinking my beer, but because of earthquakes. We had a small quake last year that shook the handles enough to open both taps and I lost 2-3 gallons of good beer :(. I now have three towers (4 taps) on the chest freezer and would be heartbroken if it happened again.

I'm going to have to build something like this. Not so much to prevent the kiddies from drinking my beer, but because of earthquakes. We had a small quake last year that shook the handles enough to open both taps and I lost 2-3 gallons of good beer :(. I now have three towers (4 taps) on the chest freezer and would be heartbroken if it happened again.

Any chance of smaller handles solving that problem?

Latest posts

Back