Chocolate stout; what BJCP style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierhaus15

Reaction score
I will be entering a homebrew competition very soon (my first) and I would like to submit a chocolate stout for one of my 2 entries. However, I have no idea which category I should put it in. The beer is very similar to Stone's bitter chocolate oatmeal stout, unintentionally, though it has a more rounded chocolate aroma and flavor.

I was originally thinking of submitting the beer as a specialty beer, but I was told by a 'supposed' BJCP judge whom I met recently that chocolate stouts usually don't fare well in the specialty category. okk...wtf?

Does anyone have any experience submitting chocolaty tasting stouts in competition? Or should I just submit it as a robust porter and hope for the best?

:confused:

Grain bill is 85% Pale, 7% chocolate malt, 4% crystal 10l, 4% roasted barley, and 2 oz cocoa powder.

You might get away with entering it in one of the stout (13) styles, maybe 13E, even if you put cocoa in it. If there is a strong chocolate flavor, I wouldn't bother. 2 ounces shouldn't too obvious.

As far as the Specialty area goes, it should be something unusual and many, many people do chocolate stouts.

Back