Stopper M.I.A.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machowsk

Reaction score
On Sunday I was transferring some beer from my primary bucket to my secondary carboy. Everything was going fine until I attached the airlock to the stopper and then insterted the stopper into the carboy. I guess I pushed too hard, and the stopper went all the way into the carboy, and though I carefully tried to extract it with the airlock, it fell into the beer. I quickly covered the carboy's opening with some plastic wrap as a temporary stop-gap, drove to the homebrew store and bought a second carboy stopper (this time one with a lip that should prevent it from ever slipping in.) Went home, sanitized the new stopper and sealed the carboy. My question is, once I bottle the beer and the carboy is no longer used, how can I get the old stopper out? I have to assume this has happened to many other people before.... Since the stopper was sanitized, I'm assuming the beer won't be ruined, but am I wrong?

Thanks in advance
-Mike

There's a pile of threads about this... do a search. My method involves getting a dish towel wrapped around the stopper, and yanking it out.

Alrighty, I'll give that a try when the beer's done in a few weeks. Thanks for the help

Latest posts

Back