Fermcap drops and Brown Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
For those of you who subscribe to BYO... or are über knowledgable...

How do you feel about the lack of krausen while using Fermcap-S and how it affects the removal of brown hefe. BYO had an article about brown hefe and how it is extremely stringent and bitter and how you really don't want it in you beer. If our fermentations no longer have a large krausen because of the fermcap drops, is the brown hefe staying in our beer, and is it affecting our brews?

-----> Discuss

No..... Brown hefe is the trub and hop junk that gets caught on the side of your primary during high krausen. It contains hops, trub, yeast, and other nasties that taste bad.

My question is, does this junk settle out during racking? Or is the only way to get rid of it through trapping it on the walls of the primary fermenter?

i don't skim, i just let the krausen drop right back into the beer. i'd imagine not having the krausen will have similar results. i think it's negative effects are exagerrated as most of my beers are quite delicious ;)

i think it eventually flocculates with the yeast and becomes one with the rest of the trub. i generally leave my beers sitting around for a long time and use secondaries as well, which probably helps. Lately i've been filtering, too :D

Back