American Pale Ale Butlerdust- bronze medal winner at Best of the Bay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrystalShip

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
us-05, 1056
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
yeast starter recommended for liquid yeast
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
~52
Color
6.7L
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
two weeks or so at 65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
about a week at 68F
Tasting Notes
big passionfruit aroma and flavor with slight malt sweetness
This is the second competition I entered and my second bronze medal. This beer took third place in category 10A American Pale Ale at the Best of the Bay homebrew competition in Bellingham, Wa. If you love citra, you will definitely love this beer. I think the addition of honey malt complements the tropical fruit flavors of citra very nicely.

Grain: 11# american two-row (great western)
8oz crystal 40L
8oz honey malt

Mashed grains for 60min at 149-150F

sparge at 175F and boil for 60 min. Hop additions are as follows:

.5oz citra - FWH
.5oz citra - 20min
1oz citra - 10min
1oz citra - 5min
1oz citra - 1min
2oz citra - flameout

I add a whirlfloc tablet at 15minutes to help clarify the wort.
I also add a teaspoon of yeast nutrient at the same time.

I cool the wort to about 150F before adding the flameout hop addition to preserve those delicious and volatile hop oils. I believe myrcene's boil point is like 147 or something!

gently stir those bad boys for a few minutes so they can release their hoppy awesomeness.

Cooled to about 60-64, aerated with o2 pushed through a stainless aeration stone and pitched yeast!

after about two weeks I racked into secondary and dry-hopped with an ounce of citra leaf hops for a week....you could always use more if you desire :D

After a week, cold crash and keg!

Enjoy

how bout a pic?

DSC07252.jpg

Nice job thanks for sharing.
My pale ale did not fare so well in that category, must have been very competitive.

Nice job thanks for sharing.
My pale ale did not fare so well in that category, must have been very competitive.

I guess it was.... one of the judges said she smelled celery and onion in the aroma and that I should "amp up the hops for a punchier effect"

7oz in a 5 gal batch of regular old 10A pale ale seems pretty "punchy" to me...lol...whatever, she was an honory judge and not even certified anyway haha

I am not sure about some of those judges... My ipa was docked with a pretty bad score and not useful feedback and went on to place very well. I think it may be hard to get enough bjcp certified judges up there for this comp.

Brewed up another batch of this beer for the same competition and made some slight changes.

10.5 lb 2row
8oz c40
4oz honey
4oz carapils

Mashed at 150 for 60mins.

60 min boil

1oz citra @20
1oz citra @10
2oz citra @5
2oz citra @0
2oz citra dry hop

Ferment us-05 1pack @64f

5.5 gallons, 1.058-1.011
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405472229.632074.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Did the American ale yeast strip much from this one? I know that one usually takes a decent amount of hop flavor out of my brews

I'll be brewing this recipe Saturday, I can't wait. The cost of the hops was insane at $3 an ounce. If this turns out as hoped I think I'll be buying the stuff by the pound and make this a house recipe.

Just opened a bottle and Damn it's good. Reminds me of moon man by new glarus with a zombie dust twist. I think this will be a house specialty. Thanks for the recipe

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! I like to do small variations of this recipe quite often. For example, the one I have on tap right now I replaced half of the two row malt with pilsner and upped the dryhop addition to 3.5oz! It's wonderful

Back