Heather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Painter

Reaction score
I would like to add some heather to my next batch of Scotch Ale. I will be brewing a 5 gallon batch using extract. How much heather should I add and when should it go into the boil?

Hello, I have been experimenting with herb brews, I have not done a heather brew yet but I would guess about 1oz would be a good starting point on your first try using heather, I use about 1 1/2oz total herbs in my herb wheat, .33oz mugwort and .33oz yarrow @ 20min and again @ 5min and some times more yarrow flowers at flame out of I want a more flowery aroma in the brew.

If the heather your using is flowers they are used more for aroma=last 5 min to flame out, if your heather is the hearty part of the plant its more for flavoring=20min to 5 min the longer time will give you more flavor or bittering=60min to 30min in the boil, I have found that herb work a lot like hop additions.

All that being said lol, I would try 1/2oz @ 20min and 1/2oz @ 5min for my first attempt with heather and then adjust those amounts on my next brew.

Hope this helps, good luck, and please post your results.

Cheers :mug:

I bottled my heather ale yesterday.

I ended up boiling two oz. of dried heather for 60 minutes and then two oz. for 5, which was just a guess based on some other recipes that I had seen. This was a 5 gallon batch.

I usually taste a sample when I am bottling (who doesn't?) and I didn't notice a whole lot of heather flavor, or aroma, but I won't make any final judgment until I have let it age in the bottle for a while.

I use 8oz in my heather ale (1.060 Scottish 80/- base), with 2oz added at 60/20/5 and dry. If you can find fresh clippings the aroma is much stronger.

I bottled my heather ale yesterday.

I ended up boiling two oz. of dried heather for 60 minutes and then two oz. for 5, which was just a guess based on some other recipes that I had seen. This was a 5 gallon batch.

I usually taste a sample when I am bottling (who doesn't?) and I didn't notice a whole lot of heather flavor, or aroma, but I won't make any final judgment until I have let it age in the bottle for a while.

Im looking forward to hearing how it turns out, Please let us know.

Cheers :mug:

Back