Female and male flowers on the same plants?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulster2626

Reaction score
Sup y'all.

So this morning I went out on the deck, and lo and behold those burrs are now turning in to big, juicy cones. I'm going to have a ton of Nuggets, and a good amount of Hallertauer, but there was a bit of a concerning growth on both plants. Here's a pic from each plant, with what I suspect to be some male flowers. The entire plants are all cones and burrs, with these two bursts of apparent male-ness being the only instances I could see this morning.

Here's the Nugget:
hw9x7b.jpg

And here's the Hallertauer:
2sa10tx.jpg

Are these anything to be concerned about? The two plants look as healthy as can be, and have grown like crazy in their first full season (planed both early last October while it was still nice out). The Nugget has some cones that are over 1" long already! Should I remove these weird-looking bits or just leave 'em? Or panic and run in circles on the deck? Cry? RDWHAHB?

Hermaphrodism Happens, often in response to stress. Some strains are more prone to it. I'd cut all of the boy bits off so the plant doesn't waste energy growing them...

Cheers!

Hermaphrodism Happens, often in response to stress. Some strains are more prone to it. I'd cut all of the boy bits off so the plant doesn't waste energy growing them...

Cheers!

Wonder if it can pollinate itself. :cross:

Yes it can but will produce more hermaphrodites. Which is general is not so good. Not sure about hops but back in the day when i grew "medicinal plants". You would get better result with female as well as more yield.

I can imagine being the same with hops.

I cut off the bits, there weren't a lot of them. The number of cones though is staggering. Seems like some DNA got confused for a second there or something.

In any case, I'm looking at a solid harvest this first year, which is great! Thanks for the help.

can u take a pic of the 'staggering' amount of cones? just my own curiosity :) :fro:

Sure. But it'll be tomorrow as I'll be going to a friends house later and getting drunk in the pool.

I mean, it's not staggering in comparison to established plants that have been producing for years, but as far as a plant that I just stuck in the ground last October is concerned, it's quite impressive. I should have enough hops for several batches.

I had hermies last year and have been making sure to water them well this year in the extreme heat. No hermies yet this year.

Back