Is it ok to brew beer if I don't have a beard ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it is required to have some kind of facial hair to homebrew. If you don't, you are tempting the fates and could end up with skunked, zombie inducing swill that even your old Uncle Phil wouldn't drink. I hear even yooper wears a fake mustache on brew day.

Tread carefully man.

Very few women can grow copious quantities of facial hair, and, in general, those who can choose to remove it. However, brewing is a strong beard-attractant, and bearded gentleman-specimens can be spotted flocking around brew days, even if they are not brewing themselves, and at social events where the home brewed beer is being consumed, in larger proportions than one would expect with the general population.

Its a quantum physics thing and as long as no one observes you without the beard, there is still some inherent probability that you have one.

So be secretive or be bearded.

0202 said:
Its a quantum physics thing and as long as no one observes you without the beard, there is still some inherent probability that you have one.

So be secretive or be bearded.

Is that like, "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?"... Instead "If a person boils and ferments wort and does not have a beard, is it actually beer?"

Shaved head and no facial hair, save for the two-days' growth as I brew on the weekend. My beer is coveted by those around me. I do fine without and don't plan on changing a thing. :)

You need to have some sort of facial hair to make beer. Well.....unless your a girl person like Yooper or something. I guess I can make an exception for that. :p

This has never occurred to me....having facial hair remarkably like Doc Holliday from Tombstone, I reckon that's good enough.

but the AHA hates on beards now. remember, brewers are supposed to present a cleancut image to the world :(

Shaved head and no facial hair, save for the two-days' growth as I brew on the weekend. My beer is coveted by those around me. I do fine without and don't plan on changing a thing. :)

So the merkin is workin it appears.

Good to know in case I singe all of my hair in a hop addition accident

you can use a merkin in a pinch... :)

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it is required to have some kind of facial hair to homebrew. If you don't, you are tempting the fates and could end up with skunked, zombie inducing swill that even your old Uncle Phil wouldn't drink. I hear even yooper wears a fake mustache on brew day.

Tread carefully man.

You need to have some sort of facial hair to make beer. Well.....unless your a girl person like Yooper or something. I guess I can make an exception for that. :p

Yes, I have to wear my Groucho nose and fake moustache on brewday, so I fit in.

I naturaly grew a beard starting from my 3rd batch. Not sure why; I just feeled compeled to do so.

Of course, technically if you are male and shave periodically, you have a beard. You just need a microscope to see it. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

It is not optional, you must have a beard. Facial hair, chest hair, back hair, errr.... well you know. No manscaping round the brew pot.

I can't be bothered with shaving all the time. Once a week, max. Anyone who brews isn't going to be your straight-laced clean-shaven pansy, in any case. That's for wine drinkers. ;)

I shaved my beard down to a goatee once because I work one shift at a gym where the owner doesn't like beards. Needless to say I felt like a part of me was missing. My beard is currently growing back.

Wow. If Yooper is doin’ the Groucho thing there might be something to it. If a fake moustache works as well as a beard that certainly opens things up.

More research is required.

Chris Rock had a skit where he mentioned something that could be applied to brewing without a beard...

"You can drive a car with your feet if you want to, but that don't make it a good f__kin' idea!"

I knew I was doing something wrong... Not shaving only two days out of the week has been throwing things just slightly off :p

Yeah, it is such a given that it has somehow gotten overlooked.

On the first page of Papazian's Book, before the table of contents, it says "If you don't have a beard don't even freaking read this""

I haven't brewed without a beard yet and all my brews have turned out great! Coincidence? I don't think so!

Me neither!

:mug:

(sorry just saw a noob with a title for every post, I LOVE it;) I further thought that a contradictory title would be neato!)

Being a blonde, nearly hairless freak I was able to eek out about 12 hairs to form a soul patch. I wasn't sure it it was enough, but the beer is getting better, so I think I'm safe.

I'm much too pretty to cover my beautiful face with a beard. Maybe some scruff for brew day but that's it.

I work at a bank and they absolutely want me bearded or shaven. No scruff, no shadow.

I alternate every few months.

never fails that when I shave off my beard lots of ladies bother to tell me I look sooooooomuch better without the beard.

DAMMIT! hate shaving.

Back