Added rasberries to primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kashby47

Reaction score
I wanted to make a rasberry ale with good body so I used 11lbs of grains, mashed out to 1.068. Then mashed 1/2 lb of fresh rasberries into boiling water and threw it into the wort. I plan on using 3 lb of fresh mashed up rasberries at secondary as well.

Will the rasberries skrew up my primary?

Used safale05...bubbling good at day 2

Shouldn't. Seems like at best it'll add fermentables. You say it's going good on Day 2 with US-05....Enjoy your brew.

No problem except you'll get some pectin haze from boiling fruit. Most of the aroma and some of the flavor of the 1/2 lb addition will be scrubbed out by the vigorous primary fermentation.

You can always add fruit into primary or secondary after most of the ferment is complete. Of course you need to wait another 1-2 weeks for the additional sugars to be fermented and byproducts cleaned up again. Should turn out fine.

Thanks for the info and reassurance. I hope it turns out. I always want to drink it a week or two too early...patience patience now!

The pectan will lend a tart flavor to the beer and as said above, most of the raspberry flavor will be lost due to the fermentation. Plus you need way more raspberries to lend flavor. My rule of thumb is at least one pound of fruit per gallon. Since I do not want that much fruit, I have gone to useing natural raspberry extract at bottling/kegging time. That way I can control the raspberry flavor by adding some, tasting and then deciding to stick with it or add more. The bonus is no pectan to tart up your beer. My raspberry blonde has become a highly sought after summer beer, in my circle of friends, especially the ladies!

I really want to use these fresh rasberries that I have but I want my beer to be tasty. So, to avoid pectin, could I smoosh & heat 3lb of fresh berries to 150° and add to secondary. And taste it before I keg it, and add some extract if it isnt berry enough...if so... about how much extract for 5 gal

Sounds like a plan. Just make sure you hold at 150 long enough to kill the bacteria/wild yeasts.

You can add the extract to taste, I think one 4 oz bottle will do 5 gallons. So obviously you'd use less if you already have real raspberries added.

I would add raspberries in secondary,and don't worry about pectin haze. There are a lot of raspberry beer brands that espouse the haze for this type of beer. If you put the raspberries in primary you will alter the taste that the yeast is suppose to impart. You will get a clean beautiful raspberry taste from the secondary.

Back