Is this a Mutant or something else

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffd10

Reaction score
Hi I just saw this guy and I was wondering if he was a mutant or having gender issues.

IMG_20111024_144908.jpg

IMG_20111024_144951.jpg

Thanks

Could it have been pollinated by some male in the area? Plants do strange things when they're fertilized...

looks like an angel cone, which are common in some strains of hops moreso than others. You have a picture of the tip of the cone? Hard to tell if those "hairs" at the end of the cone are just left over hairs from the burr or it that is some other sort of growth anomaly. "Male parts" are distinctly different, so my guess is it's just an angel cone.

Hey thanks for the fast responses...

I thought I remembered reading about hops throwing out signs of stress by throwing out boy parts but I am not positive...

Day Tripper I am thinking the same thing lol
Poppin Im thinking I am the only hopsman on the block :)
Randar this is my off my first year Cascade

Never heard the term "hop squid" before (neither has google, apparently). It's simply an "angel cone" (leaves coming out of the cone itself). As I mentioned previously, it is more common in some strains than others and if you remove the leaves, you can treat them as you do every other hop you pick, as they still contain lupulin glands and lupulin. It's not a hermie hop plant (aka it's not a male gland system).

Never heard the term "hop squid" before (neither has google, apparently). It's simply an "angel cone" (leaves coming out of the cone itself). As I mentioned previously, it is more common in some strains than others and if you remove the leaves, you can treat them as you do every other hop you pick, as they still contain lupulin glands and lupulin. It's not a hermie hop plant (aka it's not a male gland system).

Thanks Randar,

I cut it like a bad habit, I was totally thinking she was going hermie on me... next time I will just manicure her up and throw her in with the rest of those beauty's

Angel Cone 1 ....Hermie 0

I had a couple of these on my first-year Nugget as well. I wasn't sure what to do with them at the time, but I figured if it had lupulin, I wasn't going to throw them away!

Latest posts

Back