Am I ready to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHead73

Brewmaster at Jbyrd Brewing, Hophead
Reaction score
It's been 15 days since I pitched my yeast and the gravity readings are perfect and I seem like I'm ready to bottle.
My only question is there is still kind of a film of yeast on the top of my beer. It looks kind of like an oil slick with little pockets of yeast. Should I let it keep sitting until this all clears up and the yeast sinks or is fine to siphon into my bottling bucket and bottle condition this batch?

By "perfect", do you mean the gravity has stopped changing? If it's been static for a couple days, then fermentation is done, at least.

Were it my batch, I'd give it another week to clean up a bit. But if you're in a rush, you can probably go ahead and bottle.

Sorry, yeah what I mean by "perfect" is that I took a reading after 8 days (1.011) and now 15 days (1.011) and they are exactly the same.
My OG was 1.051 and my FG is 1.011.

When I took a sample out for measuring its very clear and taste great. My only concern is the slight film still on top. Will this clear out if I leave it in for another week?

What strain of yeast and temp. Some take much longer to flocculate and fall to the bottom.

Give it a gentle shake or swirl and see if that doesn't knock it down. Sometimes co2 in the beer will keep the yeast floating.

It's a big deal and you could certainly bottle it now but ideally you let the yeast settle out so you don't have huge chunks in the bottles.

I used SafAle S-04 at 68degrees. Giving it a gentle knock and swirl some of the larger yeast clumps did start to settle.

(It's a Hophead Pale Ale)

The film isn't really an issue, so you're good to bottle if you want. I'd personally leave it in primary for another week so the the beer can condition a little longer, but it's your call. Bottling is certainly safe since your FG is stable.

Back