apple sauce ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
We had some apples that were about to go bad, so SWMBO made some apple sauce tonight. When I was spooning it into containers, it occurred to me that apple sauce has a bit different flavor than cider or raw apples. So, of course, I had the urge to make an apple sauce ale.

Has anyone tried this before?

I was thinking of taking a hefeweizen and fermenting it on the cold side to get some nice clove aroma going. Then spooning a couple pounds of apple sauce straight from the stove into the carboy, letting the sugars ferment out, and racking to a secondary to get the beer off the sauce. Apples and clove go together pretty well, so I could see it sort-of working.

Worth a shot. Just make sure the sauce is cool enough before adding it to the carboy - you don't want to stress/kill your yeast.

Hey Nicholas! I actually used apples last year:

I took about 5lbs apples straight from the orchard, peeled, froze, thawed, then added the "sauce" to the secondary (the freeze/thaw pretty much "sauced" the apples for me). I started with the popular Caramal Cream Ale recipe, which always resurfaces around here, as the base beer in attempts to make a "caramel apple" beer of sorts. I used a sweeter variety of apple, as i thought a sour one would overpower the base beer itselfe, and i used a neutral yeast & minimal hops to allow for the apple to come through.

People really enjoyed it, as did i, but the apple didn't come through nearly as much as i wanted it to. It was really only present in the aroma. Things could change, though, if you used the apple during primary fermentation, but my main concern would be the clove & typical hefeweizen flavors overpowering any traces of the apple.

Sounds interesting, had a buddy that made a triple that tasted exactly like applesauce. It was a total accident though he through some lavender straight from his garden into secondary and blam applesauce who would have thought

Back