Question about fermenting times.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nordoe

Reaction score
I am doing a unhopped extract kit with steeping grains. My OG was right on the money in the directions for the kit. It has only been six days and I am already below the FG stated on the directions. I know its not done, and I will check again in a few days to see if it sticks or goes down. My questions are what are some reasons that my numbers are not right on the point. And also, what will this do to the beer? I am guessing if it goes even lower, it will only increase the ABV. Am I correct?

FG is just an estimate but if its attentuated too much then probably a wild yeast infection. Increase ABV and less mouthfeel due to less sugars and off flavors from the wild yeast

Because yeast are like women. No matter how hard you try, or beg, they'll never do what you want the way you want it.

Seriously, the attenuation figures of yeast are usually ambiguous because a lot of factors determine what they will do. Simpler sugars and warmer temps attentuate more readily. Cell counts, available nutrients, moon phases, etc..... all come into play.

The OG was 1.052 and the FG was 1.014. It is an Irish red ale and it is at 1.013 after only six days fermenting.

That is within reason. I would not be concerned unless it dropped below 1.010. Just let it mellow in the fermenter for another week and check your gravity again. If it is unchanged, bottle it up.

EDIT: Even if it does drop below 1.010 that doesn't mean anything is wrong (i.e.: infection), it just means that you had higher attenuation than expected. No big deal RDWHAHB!

and sometimes the instruction sheets are just mis-printed.

lower FG means more alcohol and a drier beer.

The OG was 1.052 and the FG was 1.014. It is an Irish red ale and it is at 1.013 after only six days fermenting.

In theory, the yeast could be done with the major fermentation at six days. I'd keep checking, but I'd say it's probably almost done.

After adjusting for temp, it actually be right on 1.014 depending on the temp of the sample

Back