whoa, i made beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kid_ak

Reaction score
had my first batch in the fermenter for a week as of yesterday. decided to take a gravity reading just now. i was sure that i must have done something wrong, that this wouldn't possibly turn into beer.

but, sure enough--the gravity is nearing the FG mentioned in the kit (true brew american wheat).

it tasted a bit watery, but given that i used no specialty grains or spices or anything--if this finishes up just a bit better than it currently is, i'd be happy with it and an orange slice.

i realize there's nothing in this post for anyone else, but me. just had to get it out there! i made beer! i guess this is my 'hello world'! can't wait for batch #2.

now i just have to keep reminding myself, "those bubbles on the top were probably just CO2, it's fine, it's clean, and you won't mess it up down the stretch."

when this isn't worrisome--it's fun!

ak

Congrats! Wait until you drink a bottle or three and start to feel the alcohol from your own brew.

Isn't brewing great?! I brewed a dozen or so batches a couple of years ago(traveled and gave it up), then got back into it 3 months ago. I am loving it 120 gallons and 3 months later. watch out for the bug though, soon you will be spending $$$ to save $$, it'll all come out in the wash (finally, I just brewed a 5G rye at 1.056 OG beer tonight for $20-that's saving money!) $2.31 6-pack! yeah!

Welcome to the madness... Oh no, I gotta start working my Baltic porter recipe so I can get it going so it'll be ready for Christmas.

If you were standing on Mt. Everest and looking down the mountain.. that would be a close representation to the slope your slipping off as you plot your next brew.

It's a great feeling! I have 5 beers left from my first batch, and the second is bottle conditioning now. I think with only my 3rd and 4th batch in primaries I have now spent over $150 this month on brewing projects. I know I have definitely caught the brewing bug! Congratulations on your first brew, and I hope there are many more to come. :D

Congrats! Wait until you drink a bottle or three and start to feel the alcohol from your own brew.

Congrats to Kid_AK

@Rick500: I'm a first time brewer, have my first beer - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone - sitting in secondary right now, and CAN'T WAIT to feel a little something off of my first batch ever. That's when I know I'll be hooked :drunk:

"Hello World!", huh?

Why do I get the impression that a good chunk of us homebrewers are I.T. geeks?

I wonder of those of us who are I.T., are "open source" geeks.

Homebrewing -- the Linux of Beer.

(apologies to those who aren't I.T.)

"Hello World!", huh?

Why do I get the impression that a good chunk of us homebrewers are I.T. geeks?

I wonder of those of us who are I.T., are "open source" geeks.

Homebrewing -- the Linux of Beer.

(apologies to those who aren't I.T.)

I can't agree more, I feel that it's built into our genetic code, Computers and Beer go well together.

Congrats, BTW, on the first brew. I've done about 5 or 6 now, and they seem to get better every time.

I don't even have my supplies in yet, and I'm already dreaming up what I want to have in my homebrews, and can't wait to split a few of them with my close friends....

Speaking of I.T. geeks, I by no means am one, but I do know html, javascript, css, visual basic, a little bit of C++ and have built and repaired quite a few computers.....

I made my first batch in February and was fully surprised when it was actually carbonated and it tasted great! I've actually made some of the best beer I've ever tasted over the last few weeks.

Funny thing, I also have a computer with Ubuntu as O/S.

I had the same reaction to MY first batch. I was expecting something to be off and I got something great. My second is bottle conditioning now.

i'm kind of excited to catch/have the bug. famous last words? i had a feeling i would be hooked before i started. sure enough.

not an IT guy, but have definitely spent a ton of time programming. i'm sure the computers + beer connection runs deep.

Latest posts

Back