possible doom. if not, thank you.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor the Mighty

Reaction score
i over carbonated my beloved belgian beer. when you open the cap, it comes out like someone handed the bottle to michael j. fox for a half hour!!!!!!!!!! is there any way to tame the carb beast?

put them all in the fridge and leave them for a few days before opening. then open carefully with gloves.

you could also open them up and then recap them, letting a little pressure out.

i had this happen with a belgian triple once...there was no fixing it in my case.

Is this after the beer is refrigerated? If not, you could refrigerate and then see what happens. Try getting the beers as close to freezing as possible and see what effect this has.

make sure you chill them 48 hours before opening. it takes a while for the CO2 in the headspace to get absorbed.

it sounds like you may have:
a. over primed
b. bottled too early (fermentation not done)
c. have an infection
d. just need to let it chill longer in the bottle

if they still gush after chilling 48 hours, but taste ok, then its a or b. and if its b...you might have exploding bottles soon.

ask me how I know...

think i heard your story....oi......i dont think i bottled too early, it was chillin for a long time (about 2 months) in the carboy.

Back