Mashing Temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseburgBrewer

Reaction score
I read alot about people mashing this grain too high or this grain too low. Where to I find info about what temperature to mash different grains at?

:tank:

The range is pretty wide.

Generally, between 146 - 160 is considered safe.

The lower your mash temp, the dryer your beer will be. The higher it is the more non-fermentable sugars you'll have and you'll develop a maltier profile to the beer.

Keep in mind that if you shoot for a 146 mash tmep, you'll likely loose several degress over the 60-90 minute mash period.

IF there is a default temperature for mashing, I'd say it's 154. THat's what I shoot for, knowing it will drop to 152 by the time I'm done.

RoseburgBrewer said:
I read alot about people mashing this grain too high or this grain too low. Where to I find info about what temperature to mash different grains at?

A typical recipe will usually have 2 or 3 different grains (some recipes more, some less). They all get mixed up together and mashed at the same temperature.

Use this chart.

148 F = very dry, most fermentable sugars.

150 F = fairly dry

152 F = average sweetness

154 F = somwhat sweeter

144-146 F = All heavier sweeter beer, dark caramel and burnt caramel beer types

WBC

Back