Flavor ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete799

Reaction score
I brewed an Australian style lager. This is the second time i have brewed this beer and it seems to taste bitter. Is this because of the hops. 3/4 of the hops are put in at the begining of the brew. Also I used full hops this time instead of hop pellets. Do either of these things make a difference? Thanks in advance for the responses I am new to this and thirst for more knowledge on the subject.

Give me more info. What hops? What's the OG? How much of these hops?

If you can describe the flaw in more detail, we can help you figure out what it is.

The hops were tetnagers and santium. 2oz santium and 1.5 oz tetnagers added at the beginning and another .5 in the last 5 min. It used light malt extract and lager yeast. The bitterness is at the end. It is a sort of bite. Reminds me of Moose Head if you have ever had it. It is not a winter beer bite but a dryer bite. Thanks for the help it is much appreciated.

3.5oz of hops at the beginning of any beer is going to give some bite... especially so in a beer that is probably only around 1.050OG or 5%ABV...

Post the recipe, maybe we can help smooth it out?

I ran this into beersmith for you out of curiosity:

6.6lb LME, .5lb Crystal Malt, 2oz Santiam for 60 Mins, 1.5oz Tettnang for 60 Mins, .5oz Tettnang for 5 Mins, Coopers Lager Yeast...

Came out with an OG of 1.048 (4.5-5% ABV beer) and 72IBU (bittering units). This is VERY high for the style, and in general. There are IPA's that aren't that bitter. If an IPA is this bitter, it is usually balanced out by a grain-bill that would give a higher OG - for example 1.060-1.065 (6.5-7%ABV beer).

Your beer SHOULD be bitter, b/c it's definitely not Australian Lager in style. It's overhopped IPA style brewed with Lager yeast. Who designed the recipe? I hope not a home-brew shop? If so, they should be reformulating their recipe ASAP. If you did, no problem, just let us help you address the issue and get a better recipe for next time around!

Back