First Timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron_Blackhurst

Reaction score
I just got my first kit for Christmas and i'm a little nervous and intimidated. How do I keep my beer at temp while fermenting. It's cold here in utah and i'm not really sure what to do?

My basement where I ferment can get a bit colder than ideal temps for fermenting in the winter, so I use a space heater so warm the room up a bit. Since I only need to come up about 4-5 degrees fahrenheit, it only kicks in a bit and doesn't use that much electricity. I believe you can also get some kind of plug in coils that will keep the fermenter warmer, but you'll need someone that knows about them to tell you about them.

The whole process is a little overwhelming to me. I really wish i knew someone that could show me what to do.

Search the forum for "swamp cooler". In this forums search engine just use the word swamp. Using Google will get results for swamp cooler.
Go to this forums Photos and and search swamp and swamp cooler. You'll find pictures.
Ferment your beer at the low end of the yeasts temperature range to prevent off flavors.
Don't rush your beer. Plan on leaving it in the primary for three weeks. Usually you can just forget about the instructions when using a secondary is mentioned.

Here is a resource for brewing information if you don't already have a couple of books on brewing. The book is outdated on some information. That is why it is free. http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html

Come back with more questions as yhou lay out your brew plans.

and Happy Brewing.

Brewing might appear intimidating until you've done it. And don't be too surprised if you screw up your first couple of batches or they don't turn out to be as excellent as home brewers typically rave on about their beers being.

After one or two kicks at the can, you'll find yourself developing your own process and becoming easily familiar with all the terminology that before you started sounded like it all came from either Germany or outer=space. It's one of those things you learn best by doing rather than simply reading about it.

Get yourself a kit and jump right in. Do it as cheaply as you like, or splash some cash and build an awesome set-up. The more you build yourself (things like wort chillers, mash-tuns, etc), the more you'll get a handle on the process before you even brew your first batch.

I was thinking about doing it at room temperature in a large closet

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I was thinking about doing it at room temperature in a large closet

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Working yeast likes stable temperatures. Changes in wort can cause the yeast to flocculate early and stall the fermentation.

Working yeast also produces heat. Temperature of the wort can rise 5° to 10° over ambient temperature, depending upon Original Gravity and number of yeast cells pitched, during active fermentation. Most ale yeasts do their best in the lw 60°s.

I have a large crawl space under my house. Maybe i will put some water down there for a couple days and check that temp.

Also, how do i track the molt temp during fermentation? do I have to open my bucket to check the temp.

Self sticking thermometer strips are available to put on the outside of the fermentor.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/fermometer.html

I now use a digital thermometer taped to the outside of the carboy, and insulated from the room air. It was only $6.00. I replaced it for kitchen use because it was slow to show temp of baking bread.

Your crawl space could be very inconvenient for handling a filled fermentor and tracking fermentation progress. Swamp coolers are very effective. Without a fan my swamp cooler will hold the fermenting wort 6° lower than ambient room temperature during active fermentation. Adding a fan 8° to 10° depending on OG.

Latest posts

Back