Cream of Tartar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kythcat

Reaction score
Ok, after reading the boards for a while, and playing with my own syrup here, I saw a reference to adding Cream of Tartar to the syrup. Is this a lower cost item that I can easily get to add a bit of mouth feel to my syrups to make them more like soda? I know some say to add some Mali-something, but I'm not sure where I can get that cheaply.

I'm about to make some more syrup soon, including a mix for cherry cola. If the tartar works that well, might try it in this batch and see if it tastes better than just concentrate, sugar and water.

Cream of tarter is an acid.
Maltodextrine is an unfermentable sugar that adds mouthfeel.
Grocery store Splenda (with a few exceptions) is 90% maltodextrine. If you add some splenda to your soda you can cut calories and add mouthfeel. Or go to a brew store (or on-line brew store) and buy some.

Thank you all for the replies. I get the idea now what cream of tartar is used for, and plan on using it. Didn't know about the splenda, what would you recommend, something like 2 cups splenda, 8 cups of sugar and 10 cups of water? Or would that be too much?

2 cops doesn't sound like too much to me, but I sweeten things (non brewing) with Splenda.
I think 50/50 should be fine

I can't thank all of you enough for this info. Yesterday I made a syrup of 5 cups of table sugar, 1 cup splenda, 6 cups of water and 3 teaspoons of the cream of tartar. Made 64 oz of syrup that I then flavored one with just cola from Prairie Moon, the other was a cola with 1 1/2 tsp of cherry extract in it. All of us swear that the cherry-cola mix tastes just like Cherry Coke, and the cola alone is more like Pepsi. This has turned into the winning combo for us now.

Sorry if I get off the suject, but what is that cherry cola recipe? Is there anything diferrent if you make just the cola recipe?

All I use is Watkins Cherry flavor Extract. Then mix it in the cola. If it's any easier--

2 1/2 cups table sugar
1/2 cup splenda (or store brand)
3 cups of water
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 once Prairie Moon Cola Concentrate
1 tsp Watkins Cherry flavor Extract

Combine the first 4 ingredients in a sauce pan and heat mix on stove top until completely dissolved and you can see the bottom of pan. Take off heat and let cool. Once cool, put the cola concentrate and the Cherry extract in a 32 ounce bottle and pour the syrup on top. Cap and shake a little to mix.

When making soda, use about 2 ounces of syrup to 10 to 12 ounces of carbonated water. Serve.

That's all there is to my cherry cola recipe.

Back