Mullet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avocet

Reaction score
OK any crackers out there who enjoy mullet? A Gulf Coast delicacy-just checking. Certainly something that goes hand-in-hand with beer!

Love smoked mullet. I have a buddy in Largo that makes the best I've ever had. It beats the pants off Ted Peter's, and they smoke some fine mullet.

Well you ain't never had mine Rob! And Ted Mullet's Famous Smoked Peters? Since that guy has a SALMON hanging in front of his place these days I have to take a zero on that one brother!!! lol!! Seriously-when the red roe and white roe fish are running good it's hard to mess 'em up on a smoker.

Shelly-those miami mullet are silver mullet which are fit for tarpon/grouper bait-not so much for humans. When you moved up to Ft Walton you got into BLACK MULLET which is the food of redneck Gods! It's funny when I went to UF I had two roommates from Miami Lakes who said smoked mullet was trash till I brought up some from Pinellas Co then they were hooked and still are 3 decades later.

Although this thread seems lost on northern/western -non gulf of mexico types. Their loss huh!!!!

Cool, did not know they were different species. Another thing, when I lived in Key Largo I used to catch tons of Jack Crevalle and everyone there told me you couldn't eat them because they were too trashy/bloody. One day, all I had caught were some Jacks and I was hungry, so I filleted them up, wrapped them in foil and threw them on the grill. Once cooked, they had a firm bloodline that you could slide right off with one finger, and the rest of the fillet was white and delicious! I ate lots of them after that.

Avocet said:
Well you ain't never had mine Rob! And Ted Mullet's Famous Smoked Peters? Since that guy has a SALMON hanging in front of his place these days I have to take a zero on that one brother!!! lol!! Seriously-when the red roe and white roe fish are running good it's hard to mess 'em up on a smoker.

Shelly-those miami mullet are silver mullet which are fit for tarpon/grouper bait-not so much for humans. When you moved up to Ft Walton you got into BLACK MULLET which is the food of redneck Gods! It's funny when I went to UF I had two roommates from Miami Lakes who said smoked mullet was trash till I brought up some from Pinellas Co then they were hooked and still are 3 decades later.

Although this thread seems lost on northern/western -non gulf of mexico types. Their loss huh!!!!

Wow you're hardcore! The place has a salmon hanging on the wall and they're out of the race. They don't even have it in the menu! I understand as a Florida native being pissed going to a seafood joint on the water and they serve salmon, haddock, and anything but Gulf fish. I really wish it was as easy as it used to be to find a roadside stand selling fresh mullet. I haven't seen one in years. But at least I get about a dozen or so once in awhile from my buddy. Personally I'm not big into fishing otherwise I'd smoke my own.

As for telling if yours is truly the best there's only one way to tell.......

Rob-all those places are pretty much gone. When I was a kid out here on Gandy there were probably 4-5 places up and down past the dog track with smoked mullet, fried grouper (which is now probably more than ribeye steak and coming in frozen from Mexico) frog legs and REAL hush puppies!

As far as Ted Peters-he has a huge SALMON on his sign out front now and that is the species he is pushing these days. A fish that is probably not seen within 1500 miles of here.

I will tell you what though, if you take a trip down to ruskin you can still find a few joints like that.

As far as fish-keep in touch-I promise I will deliver come fall or maybe sooner if I get inspired!

Back