Plug in Element Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InityBrew

Reaction score
Hello!

I purchased the following element recently and it will not work on any of my outlets in my home. I tried it on a dedicated 20A outlet as instructed and it still wont stay on for more than a few minutes.

heaterc.jpg

What happens is the 15A GFCI plug keeps tripping after about 5 minutes of use.

SO i took the GFCI plug off and replaced it with a regular non-GFCI plug and it works fine. (for my 10 minute test.)

The question is.. am i risking anything (fire, shock, etc) by removing this GFCI plug? wouldn't the circuit breaker go out before any sort of damage could be done to my house self?

Thanks!

The question is.. am i risking anything (fire, shock, etc) by removing this GFCI plug? wouldn't the circuit breaker go out before any sort of damage could be done to my house self?

Thanks!

Well your house wiring might very well be protected by the circuit breaker, but YOU could be risking electrocution, serious injury or death...a GFCI is highly advised if not considered MANDATORY.

I'm assuming that the plug thats connectd to the element has the gfci built in and that's what you took off? I would just replace the outlet that you are plugging it into to a gfci. Don't kill yourself over making beer.

Thanks for response.. my neighbor, an electrician, ensured me that it would be fine to use but I am still hesitant... I figure that they wouldn't put the gfci plug on the element if their wasn't a concern. I will go get a GFCI outlet and have it installed tomorrow.

Here are the specs of the element..

120v 15a 1800 Watts..

Should I get a 15A or a 20A GFCI outlet?

So I installed a 15A outlet and it works fine..

Does anyone know any reason on why the GFCI plug would short out and not the outlet?

Is it possible that the outlet you are plugging into is already GFI protected? If your in a kitchen, look to see if there is a gfci outlet, and if it is on the same breaker.

I checked and it is not a GFCI outlet.

Also, i spoke with two electricians and they informed me that running the element with the replacement plug in a standard outlet would be fine. Just to be safe i installed a GFCI outlet yesterday, but it is good to know.

I have the same heating element and also had trouble with false tripping, but it took a good 20 minutes for that to happen. The GFCI plug end built into it would get really hot. I was plugging it in to an already GFCI protected circuit, so perhaps that was the problem.

I checked and it is not a GFCI outlet.

Also, i spoke with two electricians and they informed me that running the element with the replacement plug in a standard outlet would be fine. Just to be safe i installed a GFCI outlet yesterday, but it is good to know.

Most "electricians" are just wire pullers. Ask yourself why is it not safe to use electricity near water in kitchens and bathrooms with out protection (per code), but yet use electricity that is designed to heat water while you are touching the container?

That's pretty much what they are telling you, and unless you are explaining it incorrectly what your are actually doing to them, I wouldn't let them anywhere near my well being.

Maxkling said:
Most "electricians" are just wire pullers. Ask yourself why is it not safe to use electricity near water in kitchens and bathrooms with out protection (per code), but yet use electricity that is designed to heat water while you are touching the container?

That's pretty much what they are telling you, and unless you are explaining it incorrectly what your are actually doing to them, I wouldn't let them anywhere near my well being.

You an electrician?

Back