Group Buy in Chicago #5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just sign up, waiting for permission to buy :)
and btw this is fantastic :)

I am definitely going try to order the nelsons and maybe another hop with this order round...

I have a 15 gal hop monster fermenting now that was 59 lbs of grain, og1.106, with 44 oz of hops waiting on another 6 for dry hop, its only at 1.030 as of yesterday another hundy-tick and yum..

I am definitely going try to order the nelsons and maybe another hop with this order round...

I have a 15 gal hop monster fermenting now that was 59 lbs of grain, og1.106, with 44 oz of hops waiting on another 6 for dry hop, its only at 1.030 as of yesterday another hundy-tick and yum..

I would still like to join in on that 11 pounds. Hopefully you'll still be sharing!

So, here's a thought that I had during the last (my first) group buy, that I wasn't comfortable asking. When choosing between malts, sometimes there seems to be a significant price difference (4-5 cents/lb) for the same product from different vendors. Case in point, 2-row from Canadia versus Great Western. Some of y'all chose the cheaper, some the more expensive.

I suppose that the answer may be, "it depends on the type of beer you're brewing", but that isn't a clear enough answer for me. Anyone have any thoughts to share on which company to go with, and why?

Retrofit- I'm up the road in St. Charles. Any chance I can get in on your delivery offer? I'd be happy to offer some home brew in exchange. :mug: I was thinking of getting 3 sacks.

My Pickup does NOT have a top, but if I can carry it, I don't have a problem driving it to Aurora. Home brew is a bonus.

Frankly, I like meeting new brewers and if acting as the "Aurora Hub" allows me to meet more brewers I'm in. I'm also excited that I think I'll actually be in on one of these, I always seem to miss them!!!

ThirstT said:
So, here's a thought that I had during the last (my first) group buy, that I wasn't comfortable asking. When choosing between malts, sometimes there seems to be a significant price difference (4-5 cents/lb) for the same product from different vendors. Case in point, 2-row from Canadia versus Great Western. Some of y'all chose the cheaper, some the more expensive.

I suppose that the answer may be, "it depends on the type of beer you're brewing", but that isn't a clear enough answer for me. Anyone have any thoughts to share on which company to go with, and why?

Personal preference really.

Do the prices recalibrate to the lower values when a certain number of bags have been ordered... not that it matters for basic ordering quantities I know no prices are set until the quote has been processed but I was just curious.

I am working on enabling the prices to automatically change based on total amount of grains ordered.

ghoti said:
I am working on enabling the prices to automatically change based on total amount of grains ordered.

Having an admin over ride would be nice. Maybe the admin could choose a pricing tier that is based total weight quantity. Thoughts?

ThirstT said:

Well, while Bill is right there is also other factors that come into play. For example take pilsner malt. The Canadian version is cheaper than ordering from a German maltster, although not by that much, some would argue in this case that even though the malt probably comes from a very similar seed, the growing processes and locations will effect the overall flavor of the malt. For those who enjoy brewing to style, or are trying to accurately clone a beer that uses German pilsner there is no substitute to German pilsner malt. Again, however, this is totally preference.

So we think we are gonna get rolling and still looking for late Oct. delivery? Teach a friend to homebrew day is November 3rd - just trying to plan accordingly (i.e., am I going to brew an APA or Barleywine ;)?)

ghoti said:
prices now adjust based on amount ordered

Awesome. I will add the hops pricing to the excel file by tomorrow. Thanks for all of your hard work, ghoti.

I am only posting this because its the Chicago group. Has anyone here that lives on the West burbs ever build their electric brewery? I have all the parts just need the motivation or if someone else is building a Kal clone would be cool to build side by side.

Thanks

Pat

louie0202 said:
I am only posting this because its the Chicago group. Has anyone here that lives on the West burbs ever build their electric brewery? I have all the parts just need the motivation or if someone else is building a Kal clone would be cool to build side by side.

Thanks

Pat

Im in Chicago but maybe I could help.

Malric said:
Bill and ghoti, you guys are awesome.

This is all ghoti, folks. Please show your appreciation and make sure you bring him home brew when you pick up.

Ok, here's what ghoti and briefly discussed earlier today. I will get him an excel sheet with hops pricing. For some reason the pricing was not included in the original spreadsheet so I have to manually enter it and forward him the file. He will then add the hops to the database. This should be the final thing that needs to be done. I will try to get this to him tomorrow. We hope to officially start group buy #6 this Friday. If you already signed up for the test buy then you should be able to login and start placing your order right away. We need to think about a cut off date buy I will let the general consensus decide that.

Ok, here's what ghoti and briefly discussed earlier today. I will get him an excel sheet with hops pricing. For some reason the pricing was not included in the original spreadsheet so I have to manually enter it and forward him the file. He will then add the hops to the database. This should be the final thing that needs to be done. I will try to get this to him tomorrow. We hope to officially start group buy #6 this Friday. If you already signed up for the test buy then you should be able to login and start placing your order right away. We need to think about a cut off date buy I will let the general consensus decide that.

Hey Bill how do we sign up to test the system?
Thanks!

I could sign in before, but now when I try it takes me back to the sign in page again. Do I need to sign up again?

I could sign in before, but now when I try it takes me back to the sign in page again. Do I need to sign up again?

yes. there was a user with no information present so i deleted it. sign up again and enter your hbt username and the email associated with your paypal account.

metic said:

Before creating a new user again, try login again

OK I think I've got it. I seems like I capitalised the first letter of my email address when I signed up, and today I was writing it all in lower case. Thanks.

Wow, nice second post dude.. Seriously, from Texas posting in a Chicago group buy thread.. Don't let the door hit you on the way out...

Okay, I managed to lose the link to the catalog and pricing list. Help please?

Tanks!

that was intentional. I was testing the start/end dates and it seems to work. :)

I am waiting for ghoti to give me the ok to open start an official group buy. he needs to add a few finishing touches first before we start it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back