Bines quit growing, should I cut back?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birch

Reaction score
Like many people my bines took off fast in March due to the unseasonably warm weather, they were doing great and then April really cooled down and they just stopped growing. They were at about 8 feet and really haven't grown at all in the last month or so, but they are starting to sprout lateral vines, just not growing any longer.

There are new bines coming out of the ground and growing pretty fast. Should I just cut back the first bines and let the new ones grow? I'm wondering if the cool weather messed up the first bines and I'm scared they won't grow any longer.

What does everyone think? I did trim back one of the old ones about 2 weeks ago because it got snapped and let a new one take it's place, and it's almost caught up to the older ones already.

I wouldnt be scared to cut it back, give it a good fert app and leave it alone until mid June then give another.

How many bines per plant do you have growing? If you have 3-5 then you should be good. Like arrowhead said, give it a bit of fert (or better yet some manure) and let them grow!

The early growth (first growth) can be real erratic which is one of the reasons hop farmers cut it back. Later frosts and cold snaps can also play havoc with early growth which is another reason to remove the early shoots. If you have space, I'd suggest just letting the shoots which are already trained stay put and run another line for some of the newer growth to climb and see what happens. You're the boss but the proof will be in the puddin'. Happy Growing!

Back