Custom made Mash Paddles??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdwilliams03

Reaction score
I overheard a conversation the other day about a site that makes custom made mash paddles. I tried looking through the threads and couldn't find anything so I was wondering if you hop noggens knew any good websites??

I just got a great custom mash paddle from www.wildvinecarvings.com
Every thing was hand carved and the handle was even wrapped in leather.
I'll post pictures when I get home, I'm posting from my phone right now.

It's way more satisfying to do it yourself. We are complete amatuers at wood working, so its not perfect and looks homemade, but isn't that we want? Its used to stir wet grain, it doesn't have to be perfect. A small part of the S broke off while sanding that I am going to try and glue back together, but it turned out ok I think. Buy a piece of maple or oak, grab a jigsaw and go to it.

mash paddle.jpg

It looks pretty easy from what you made there! At least it will give me a new project to try!:rockin:

I just got a great custom mash paddle from www.wildvinecarvings.com
Every thing was hand carved and the handle was even wrapped in leather.
I'll post pictures when I get home, I'm posting from my phone right now.

Let me know when you get pictures up! I would definitely like to see the end result! How much did it cost you from this site, if you don't mind me asking?

It looks pretty easy from what you made there! At least it will give me a new project to try!:rockin:

My biggest advice is if you mess a cut up slightly don't get too upset, its amazing what you can fix with sanding. The handle part looked horrible after the cuts, but a couple hours of sanding the whole thing and it looks pretty straight, I was even able to get a nice curve on all the edges. Give it a try.

Here's mine, cost $4 from the local hardwood shop for a 4" wide length that was long enough to make two. Of course factoring labor/time but like IndyTruks said it's about the satisfaction of having something you made by hand. I don't have a scroll saw, just a coping saw ($5 from homedepot) and a drill + saw bits.

IMG_0074_md.jpg

Let me know when you get pictures up! I would definitely like to see the end result! How much did it cost you from this site, if you don't mind me asking?

The original quote was 125 but I added all kinds of fancy designs and stuff and it ended up around 200$. I can't stand to touch wood, some kind of weird thing I have with it so the buckskin handle was a must. All the relief carving sure did turn a lot of heads and draw a crowd at the last club meeting I went to.

Here's mine, cost $4 from the local hardwood shop for a 4" wide length that was long enough to make two. Of course factoring labor/time but like IndyTruks said it's about the satisfaction of having something you made by hand. I don't have a scroll saw, just a coping saw ($5 from homedepot) and a drill + saw bits.

This looks pretty simple as well. I really didn't want to get to fancy so I like the holes you drilled instead of trying a design.

The original quote was 125 but I added all kinds of fancy designs and stuff and it ended up around 200$. I can't stand to touch wood, some kind of weird thing I have with it so the buckskin handle was a must. All the relief carving sure did turn a lot of heads and draw a crowd at the last club meeting I went to.

I'm sure it did!!! I know I would be excited to see it! Thanks for the info! Brew Strong man!:mug:

Back