Pre Made Wort for Yeast Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdad

Reaction score
Is it OK to make a larger batch of wort for my yeast starters and store it? I'm thinking I could make a 4X batch to save time. Would it be OK to store it in a sanitized water jug? Should it be refigerated and then warmed up later when ready for use? How long would it be good for? I use 3 cups water, 1/2 cup DME and 1/8 tsp fermax for one starter.

I've been doing 2 batches a week and I use 2 servings of starter wort per starter to really bump up the yeast count so this would be a lot easier for me. Instead of cooking up 4 seperate batches I could just do one a week, or even do an 8X batch and only do it once every 2 weeks.

thanks!

Would be best to save it in the vessel you are going to ferment the starter in, like if you had several Erly flasks. Do your boiling in the flasks to sterilize the inside and it's contents (starter wort). Cover, cool to room temp, refrigerate for no longer than a week I'd say. Warm to 80 deg or so. Pitch yeast.

You may be able to store it more than a week but with a cup of sugar water in a home environment, like a fridge, organisms begin moving in almost immediately.

Back