GFCI options... will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky_Chicken

Reaction score
I have been looking for GFCI options for the 50A service I am hooking up to for my new electric system. What I have found so far is they dont exist or they are outragiously expensive. Will something like this work, I am not even sure how it works. I think it goes inline and all it does is GFCI?

Leviton GFCI Breaker High Current GFCI 240V

If this will work i could mount it in a box attached to the back of the control panel, then I can still roll my rig to either of my plugs.

Never seen that one before, but from the description on Levitons website. It is only rated for 20 amps, but can sense 240 volt. you have to use a contactor to get a higher amp rating.

IMO a 'Spa GFCI Disconnect" would be your best option.

The fact that the spa panel is the same price but also gives you enclosure makes it pretty attractive. Not to mention that it's another point of safety disconnect that you can manually operate if you had to.

If I am already going to have a 50A contactor as a main power relay this should still work right? The only difference is that there would still be power to the control panel box if it tripped or am I missing something else?

I see the bennifit of a spa panel in that your GFCI break is farther from your brew area. Is there another bennifit I am missing to not having your GFCI in the same enclosure?

Everything on the supply side is unprotected. If one of the suplly wires shorts to the enclosure, GFCI will not protect you. If you incoming power cable gets exposed (or something cuts into it) your GFCI will not protect protect you.

A GFCI Breaker located as far up stream is the safest way to go. If its $60 ether way, go with the Spa GFCI. IMO

Back