Do I have a problem here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert1097

Reaction score
Guys,

I brewed up a Flanders Red last July, pitched the Roselare blend, fermented then racked to secondary end of July and have let it sit in the back of an unused closet since then occassionaly checking on it. I formed a thick brown cake at the top of the carboy which caused foaming, etc for about a month then stopped. I thought this was the pellicle and it may have gotten too cold for it to continue doing its thing.

Today I check on it and the airlock is completely dry. I'm not too worried at this point thinking that Brett might be able to use some O2. I refill the airlock and check on the beer. I see two white phlegm strands on either side of the carboy and some minimal foaming around them.

photo.jpg

The brown chunks are oak BTW.

So, do I have a problem here?

That's some pretty funny stuff guys. ;)

Unfortunately not too helpful. :(

Seriously, if you can't tell what it is by looking at it, how are we supposed to tell what it is from a picture?

I don't know what it is but it doesn't look right. Did you sanitize your oak chips by steaming them? What does it taste like?

I've heard that lambics can sometimes get really ugly/smelly in the fermenter, I'd probably wait it out and RDWHAHB.

wyzazz said:
Seriously, if you can't tell what it is by looking at it, how are we supposed to tell what it is from a picture?

I don't know what it is but it doesn't look right. Did you sanitize your oak chips by steaming them? What does it taste like?

I've heard that lambics can sometimes get really ugly/smelly in the fermenter, I'd probably wait it out and RDWHAHB.

Seriously, I was hoping to get some advice, guidance from some folks who have used this yeast blend or have done a Flanders red.

I can't tell what it is because I don't know. As far as sanitation I've never had an infection in 50+ batches and this one has been sitting in its current carboy for the past 7months without a hint of problem until a few weeks ago.

Again, I was hoping to get some insight from some folks who have had experience with this style/yeast.

Maybe try taking another picture too? That could help, it's a bit hard to see what is going on.

Back