Sweetwater IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhawkbrew

Reaction score
I've got grains in strike water right now for a Sweetwater IPA. I used Brewsmith and it called for doing a two part sparge. The grain bill is 12 lbs and it calls for the first sparge to be with almost a gallon of water, with the next sparge to be with 3.33 gallons. My question is do I drain the first sparge or just add the second sparge to the first in the tun?

I hope that made sense. I have 30 minutes until I drain my first runnings from the strike.

1) Drain first runnings (measure)
2) Add 1/2 the volume you need for preboil
3) Drain second runnings
4) Add other 1/2 of the volume you need for preboil.

Let's say for example you get 2 gallons out of the first runnings. You probably need 5 gallons more. So, add 2.5 gallons of water and drain, then repeat.

OTOH, what is your grainbill and would you mind posting it up? I assume you are using all Simcoe hops, could you add the hop additions too?

nealf,
Thanks for the quick reply. I ended up following the Brewsmith volume numbers and draining after each sparge. I came out just at the volume Brewsmith stated, 6.5 gallons!

I got the Sweetwater recipe from the recipe section here. This is the grain bill and hop schedule (yes, all Simcoe):

10.5 lbs 2 row
1.0 lbs Munich
0.5 lbs Crystal 80
0.5 lbs Wheat Malt

.5 oz Simcoe FWH
.5 oz Simcoe 60 min
.5 oz Simcoe 30 min
.5 oz Simcoe 15 min
.5 oz Simcoe 10 min
1.5 oz Simcoe Dry Hop

I'm using S-04 yeast

I had Sweetwater IPA for the first time when I visited family in North Carolina and loved it. I hope this turns out well. :mug:

Thanks Aubie Stout.

I'm using a modified hop bag for this brew. I usually use the cheesecloth like bags. But I had a large grain bag that I attached to my kettle, it doesn't fit all the way around, with clips. Will this work ok? It seems to be boiling well and circulating threw the bag. I'll post pictures later.

I forgot to check my gravity before adding the yeast. I checked it after. Does this affect the gravity number? By the way, I missed my preboil gravity by .o2 points :rockin: and my starting gravity (if it's ok to check gravity with yeast in it) was also only .02 points! It only gave me an efficiency of 70%, brewhouse was 77% though.

All in all a good brew day! :ban:

may have to brew this up... i love their ipa, let us know how it turns out.

now if only hopsdirect would sell simcoe...

To the OP, when this is done aging would you mind to maybe do a review for us and maybe share any improvements that you have for the recipe? Hope this brew is tasty

I just got off the phone with Sweetwater Brewery and they told me that they use Chinook, Cascade, Simcoe and US Goldings hops in the IPA. Any idea in what order we would do that? (I asked and she wouldn't give any more info)

I just got off the phone with Sweetwater Brewery and they told me that they use Chinook, Cascade, Simcoe and US Goldings hops in the IPA. Any idea in what order we would do that? (I asked and she wouldn't give any more info)

It has been over a year since I have had a SW IPA, so take this help with that in mind. But IIRC, their IPA does not have a huge citrus hop aroma. So here is my stab at the hop additions.

60 min Chinook
15 min Simcoe
5 min Cascade

Dry hop or Flameout US Goldings.

I have been drinking a lot of it lately, and it has a very citrus/grapefruit aroma to it. My thought was that meant Simcoe or Cascade or a combo of both for the late additions and dry hop. Thoughts?

If you are getting a bit citrus aroma, then I would add the Goldings as the flavor additions (15 min) and then use the simcoe as the dryhop addition. Cascade could be used as the dry hop, but it doesn't quite have the aroma punch when compared to Simcoe.

This was just a quick shot in the dark for hop schedule. Any input is appreciated!

.5 oz Simcoe FWH (or Goldings instead of 15 min boil)
.75 oz Chinook 60 min
1 oz goldings 15 min
.5 oz Cascade 5 min
.5 oz Simcoe 0 min
1.5 oz Simcoe dry hop

The beer is not as bitter as the 420 in my opinion, so where on the IPA IBU scale should we shoot for if the range is 40-70 IBU? According to Beersmith, the above combo gets us to 59.4 IBU. If we bump up the chinook to 1oz, it puts it at 69 IBU.

So what do we think?

Good to know. I didn't see any of that info on their website. I'm still searching for a good clone recipe. The hop profile of what I've seen is all over the board. Has anyone nailed it yet?

I was in Atlanta in December and tried Sweetwater's IPA. It is an easy drinking IPA and I enjoyed quite a few one evening. Anyway, to get the grapefruit aroma there is only one hop that can produce it - Chinook.

So, I made a clone. 6.5% ABV and 62 IBU. I hit everything I was looking for. The grapefruit aroma, the sweet initial taste. But I missed the hop punch at the end. I needed more bitterness. I've tweaked the recipe to 75 IBU. I have not made this one yet (will try again in April). The recipe is:

Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Boil Volume: 6.5 gallons
Boil Time: 60 minutes
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.5%
Color: 9.4 SRM
IBU: 75.1

12.5 lbs. Pale Malt(US) 2.0 SRM
0.63 lb. Crystal Malt - 80L
0.50 Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
0.50 Wheat Malt (2.0 SRM)
1.60 oz. Simcoe (12.4%) 60 minutes
2.00 oz. Amarillo Gold (7.2%) 15 minutes
1.00 oz. Chinook (13%) 0 minutes
2.00 oz. Chinook (13%) Dry Hop
1.00 tsp. Irish Moss 15 minutes
1 Pkg. American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Single Infusion Mash at 152 degrees F

I think this will get you there.

Quick question. I have grain bag lined up for a brew similar to the Coldwater 420. However, yesterday I spent some time at Sweetwater Grill in the ATL airport drinking the 6.9% ABV IPA and wishing my grain bag had slightly different contents.

Contents:

7 1/2# Pale Ale
1 1/2# Vienna
1 1/2# Munich
1/2# Carapils
3 oz. Caramunich

What would you add to this current mix to yield a brew closer to the IPA than the 420? Would you save this for later and go to the LHBS and start over?

Thoughts?

nealf,
Thanks for the quick reply. I ended up following the Brewsmith volume numbers and draining after each sparge. I came out just at the volume Brewsmith stated, 6.5 gallons!

I got the Sweetwater recipe from the recipe section here. This is the grain bill and hop schedule (yes, all Simcoe):

10.5 lbs 2 row
1.0 lbs Munich
0.5 lbs Crystal 80
0.5 lbs Wheat Malt

.5 oz Simcoe FWH
.5 oz Simcoe 60 min
.5 oz Simcoe 30 min
.5 oz Simcoe 15 min
.5 oz Simcoe 10 min
1.5 oz Simcoe Dry Hop

I'm using S-04 yeast

I had Sweetwater IPA for the first time when I visited family in North Carolina and loved it. I hope this turns out well. :mug:

How did this turn out? I'd also guess that its 100% Simcoe for the hops. I went on the Sweetwater tour this past weekend and they pretty much said "simcoe simcoe simcoe" and didn't mention anything else in this brew.

Ok Guys I am making an adjustment to my recipe (see below)

Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Boil Volume: 6.5 gallons
Boil Time: 60 minutes
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.5%
Color: 9.4 SRM
IBU: 75.1

12.5 lbs. Pale Malt(US) 2.0 SRM
0.63 lb. Crystal Malt - 80L
0.50 Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
0.50 Wheat Malt (2.0 SRM)
1.70 oz. Simcoe (12.4%) 60 minutes (61.5 IBU)
1.30 oz. Amarillo Gold (7.2%) 15 minutes (13.6 IBU)
1.00 oz. Chinook (13%) 0 minutes
2.00 oz. Chinook (13%) Dry Hop
1.00 tsp. Irish Moss 15 minutes
1 Pkg. American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Single Infusion Mash at 152 degrees F

I am going to make this beer this weekend. I will let you know in a couple of weeks.

rdharris55 - Assuming a 5.5g batch and 70% efficiency my thoughts are to do the following:

Bump your Pale Malt to 10.0 lbs (will increase your SG)
Add 0.50 lb Crystal Malt - 40L (color, body, head retention)

Look at my last post and use the same or similar hop profile. You should end up with a color about 9.0 SRM or so, alcohol in the 6.5% range and hoppiness as I discuss in my recipe. I still contend to others posting here that you need Chinook to get the Grapefruit aroma. The Simcoe and Amarillo are spot on. If you want to try a great variation on my recipe, replace half the 15 min flavor hop addition with Citra for a nice stone fruit taste.

Good luck.

... again.. if you are shooting for a clone - Sweetwater claims Simcoe hops all the way.

Redbone if that is what they say, then you are absolutely right. I don't live in ATL. I live in Michigan so I'll never really know if I missed the mark slightly. I'm trying to make my version of theirs with my spin. I expect it to be close but I'm also a brewer who prefers a complexity to my hopping. I just hate using a single hop. My advice to anyone (for what its worth) is to brew it both ways and call your favorite your own. I won't make the Simco only one but would be interested in anyone who makes both and tastes them side by side.

Per Sweetwater,
Hops: Chinook, Cascade, Simcoe U.S. Golding
Dry Hops: Simcoe, U.S. Golding
IBU's: 61
Grain: 2 row, Munich, Wheat and C80

Hope that helps

Thanks for the clarification. I was just going off what they were spouting over and over again on the tour. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers. :)

redbone said:
Thanks for the clarification. I was just going off what they were spouting over and over again on the tour. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers. :)

None ruffled on this side my friend, to be honest the tours they do a a little disappointing IMHO, keep us updated if you brew it

Redbone - no issues here. I just know that talking to the brewery, unless you are a beautiful Russian spy who can bed the Head Brewer, is almost always a waste of time. I swear they do more to throw you off the scent than to help. Now we need to nail the recipe.

Guys:

Quick update. I veered off course with the beer I'm brewing this weekend. I lightened the beer up to the mid 7's SRM and added a little Citra in the flavor to compliment the Amarillo (a great combination). If it works out as good as I think I'll share the recipe. Let's keep working on a exact clone though.

Ok, I'll take a shot:

Assuming this grain bill:

10.5 lbs 2 row
1.0 lbs Munich
0.5 lbs Crystal 80
0.5 lbs Wheat Malt​

And this hop schedule from info above:

1.25 oz Chinook 13% 60 min
2 oz Cascade 5.5% 15 min
1 oz US Golding 5% 1 min
1 oz Simcoe 13% 1 min
1 oz US Golding Dry Hop
1 oz Simcoe Dry Hop​

I get:

OG: 1.067
IBU: 63
Color: 8 SRM​

What do you think?

It's been quite some time since I've had SW IPA, but I drank it almost exclusively one summer when living in Chattanooga, love this brew and want to try a clone!

Blake

Redbone - no issues here. I just know that talking to the brewery, unless you are a beautiful Russian spy who can bed the Head Brewer, is almost always a waste of time. I swear they do more to throw you off the scent than to help. Now we need to nail the recipe.

:) I understand.

I guess it also depends on the brewery too. Some are more stingy with info than others. I've spoken with in person and emailed Linus Hall of Yazoo Brewing many times. With his help, I've managed to nail a Bavarian Hefe so good that I'd put it up against any. After all, they did win a Gold Medal with it in 2004. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazoo_Brewing_Company

OK.. enough tooting my own horn. Back to biznas. Cheers.

Anyone have any luck with any of these? I was in TN last week and tried this and was very impressed. I would like to make something close.

Per Sweetwater,
Hops: Chinook, Cascade, Simcoe U.S. Golding
Dry Hops: Simcoe, U.S. Golding
IBU's: 61
Grain: 2 row, Munich, Wheat and C80

Hope that helps

I spoke with a Sweetwater rep at the Atlanta Food & Wine Festival and he told me the exact same hops. Even the hops that it is dry hopped with. It matches the above exactly.

I have the hops on order, now I need to determine how much and when to add them. I will also be doing this as an extract. Anyone want to take a shot at a recipe?????

I don't know about the recipe, but I had a sixer of this last weekend and can tell you without question that Simcoe is the dominant flavor in this brew.

Ok, I'll take a shot:

Assuming this grain bill:

10.5 lbs 2 row
1.0 lbs Munich
0.5 lbs Crystal 80
0.5 lbs Wheat Malt​

And this hop schedule from info above:

1.25 oz Chinook 13% 60 min
2 oz Cascade 5.5% 15 min
1 oz US Golding 5% 1 min
1 oz Simcoe 13% 1 min
1 oz US Golding Dry Hop
1 oz Simcoe Dry Hop​

I get:

OG: 1.067
IBU: 63
Color: 8 SRM​

What do you think?

It's been quite some time since I've had SW IPA, but I drank it almost exclusively one summer when living in Chattanooga, love this brew and want to try a clone!

Blake

I think I am going to give this recipe a shot. Can anyone help in converting it to extract? Does this hop schedule look good?

I just brewed a 10 gallon batch from Brewmasters Warehouse recipes for American IPA called "The Grapefruit Bomb" and it is a spot on clone of Sweetwaters IPA. Only problem now is everyone is out of fresh whole Simco hops.

I am going to give the following a go as an extract recipe. Thoughts?

Hops Used
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 48.3 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 16.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 8 1.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, B.C. [5.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 7 0.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, B.C. [5.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Grains Used

Fermentables
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 1 5.3 %
5 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (3.0 SRM) Extract 2 52.6 %
3 lbs Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 3 31.6 %
1 lbs Wheat Liquid Extract (3.0 SRM) Extract 4 10.5 %

If I drop the wheat down to say .5lb should I bump the pale up by .5?

I did look at the grapefruit bomb recipe. I really want to try the variety of hops included in my schedule, as these varieties are what I have heard from multiple sources (Sweetwater included) . Quantities and timing can be changed if someone has a better idea. This is my first shot a non-kit recipe, so any and all advice is appreciated.

If I drop the wheat down to say .5lb should I bump the pale up by .5?

I did look at the grapefruit bomb recipe. I really want to try the variety of hops included in my schedule, as these varieties are what I have heard from multiple sources (Sweetwater included) . Quantities and timing can be changed if someone has a better idea. This is my first shot a non-kit recipe, so any and all advice is appreciated.

Obviously everything I'm about to say is my opinions and what I'd do... Brewing is an art and you can't be told how to make your own art. :)
Definitely if you decrease the wheat, you should increase something else to keep up the OG. I personally don't use wheat in my IPA's, but I would say that 10.5% for the Sweetwater IPA is too much if there is any in there at all.
As far as hops go, you aren't going to get much from Chinook except for bittering. The hop schedule looks fairly simplistic. You might want to mix it up a bit and get on a vigorous addition schedule a little chinook and simcoe additions all along the boil. Leaving cascade and BC goldings to the end. I'd dry-hop with simcoe and cascade... not goldings. Also, make sure you use BC Goldings and NOT East Kent. East Kent would be too earthy for this IPA.

I'm on a kick lately of single hop IPA's similar to the popular Citra IPA recipe. The thought of a single hop all along the boil is very interesting to me and I think it would really help me understand the characteristics of that one hop more than I would otherwise. I guess this is why the Grapefruit Bomb sounds so intersting to me.

Back