LHBS Homemade Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcreveli

Reaction score
I'm not a big user of kits but, I was looking to brew my first Hop forward beer and I thought I would do an IPA for a friend as opposed to the porters I drink. I asked the LHBS what they would recommend and they gave me there home built Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Kit. I was in a rush so I grabbed it and went however when I went home and put everything into BTP I was a little disappointed, here's what I got.

7lbs of Muntons LME
2 oz Centennial hops (1oz @ 60m, 1/2@15m, 1/2@5m)
8oz's of Crystal (No L#)
1 WLP 001

This kit will make beer but definitely not meet the style guidelines for an IPA. I don't think I got screwed I'm just not sure if they gave me the wrong kit or have a different understanding of what an IPA is :)

I ended up adding some stuff I had around
2lbs of DME
.5 oz Hallertau @60m (Not the preferred hop for this I know)
and 8oz of table sugar to where I wanted to be.

Should I be concerned about the table sugar thinning the beer to much?

Any Other opinions?

Is this a 5 gallon batch? 9 lbs. of malt extract seems rather high for a Pale Ale to me, not to mention the added sugar... what did your OG end up at?

Off hand, the only thing that seems off to me from their recipe is that it seems a little shy on hops.

Here is another recipe I found for comparison

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/sierra-nevada-pale-ale-clone-byo-4446/

Let us know how it goes. I usually way over malt my recipes because I like my beers to generally have a bit more kick, and am less interested in being true to a style... if this tastes good I will give it a shot!

I was looking for about 7% ABV and 60+ IBU I figured with it being an IPA You would need the malt sweetness to balance the hops. As for the sugar that, was just to push it that last little bit to 7%

not sure if you realized but SN Pale Ale ain't an IPA, not no way not no how. SN Torpedo however is an IPA, but their Pale ale is a just a great pale. Either way though, that kit seems lackluster for a hop forward brew.

I figured that out when I got home on both counts. Next time I'll do what I usually do buy raw ingredients and use a recipe I trust

Back