Problems with recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
I recently found a recipe online for a hefeweizen and decided to brew it sort of on the spot. Well, I just cracked open a bottle and here is what I thought:

It has a delicious HUGE banana smell. It smells pretty good.
It smells like a Belgian. the smell reminds me of Leffe Blonde.

Now onto the problems...

The taste is banana and similar tasting to a belgian but...It is pretty watered down tasting. It has the texture of water. Not much body to it. I think it could be carbonated more?

I think this is mostly due to some issues I had with the recipe. I'll explain and then I would love to see what everyone thinks.

Here's the recipe:

6.25 lbs. Wheat LME
8 oz. Red Wheat
4 oz. Honey Malt
.25 oz. Candied Orange Peel

1 oz. Liberty Pellet hops @45 minutes (the original recipe called for Vanguard hops)

White labs Trappist Ale Yeast WLP500 (the original recipe called for WLP380)

place the grains and the sweet orange peel into grain bag and steep for 45 minutes.

On top of having to substitute ingredients I had some other issues. It was getting VERY late and I had to be up early for work the next morning. The wort would NOT cool down. I didn't want to do it but I ended up pitching the yeast at 110 degrees! Needless to say, I never did take a gravity reading. Now that I'm looking over the recipe, the guy didn't include an OG anyway!

I thought I killed the yeast but saw the airlock bubbling the next day. I assumed all was well and let the yeast do it's thing.

I let it sit in primary for 1 week
secondary for 2 weeks
In the bottle for 2 weeks

for priming here is what I did: I used 1 1/4 cups of DME in 2 cups of water.
Is this enough to carbonate this beer properly?

Today was two weeks in the bottle. I am VERY surprised this beer isn't ruined. No off flavors at all. At least none that I can detect.

The beer smells great but Like I said it seems VERY watered down, feels weak like it could use more body and/or carbonation, and I guess more flavor over all.

Anyone have any ideas on what went wrong here (besides the obvious!)?

What kind of water did you use? I made a Kolsch a couple months ago that was watered down. I used tap water that was run through a carbon filter that removed the chlorine (but not the chloamine as a came to find out) that produced some off flavors.

For that same beer, the OG was low, at around 1.025 to 1.030, if I'm remembering correctly. (Should've boiled longer to get that OG up and a less beer in the end.)

I used the tap water at my girlfriends house. She lives in a different town than I do and her water is a bit different than mine. I honestly don't know much else about her water. Sorry.

It's ok. Might be one of the things causing the watery beer problem. Could also be the volume. Did the original recipie say it was for 3 or 6 gallons of finished beer?

It says it makes 5 gallons. I think part of the problem might be that it's supposed to be a light fruity hefeweizen. My local HBS didnt have the yeast it called for or the hops so I decided to experiment and went with the trappist ale yeast and Liberty hops. Here's where I got the recipe if you're interested in taking a look.

http://beerrecipes.org/showrecipe.php?recipeid=1071

Thanks for taking the time to help me. Appreciate it.

The recipie looks solid. A lot like the NB kit I made a couple weeks ago minus the steeping grains. I doubt the yeast or hops will make your beer taste watery. The only thing I can think of, is if your fermenter isn't marked to show how many gallons are in it, you may have ended up with the six gallons of "lighter beer" in the recipie. Sorry I can't be of more help.

That's ok. Thanks for your help! You win some. You lose some. The beer is still drinkable so that counts for something! :)

Back