Seasoning aluminum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonsbeer

Reaction score
I purchased a used turkey fryer a while back for the burner, but I thought I would use the pot that came with it for this weekend's brew. I think it's an aluminum pot because there is a black layer inside the pot about 8" up. I'm thinking this is where they may have used it to boil water in the past.

I was able to get all the oil residue cleaned up inside the pot. I then used my oven to season the pot. I put it in for 10 mins at 350*, as described in the wiki.

The pot did not turn black as I had expected. As far as I can tell, it didn't change color at all. Did I do something wrong or should I be concerned?

If you really want it to turn black, mix up a scoop of Oxi-clean in enough water to fill it and let it sit over night. :D I scrubbed my aluminum pot for hours and can't get rid of that little mistake. :eek:

Seriously though, you should be fine. The aluminum oxidation will be a dull grey colour (vaguely the color of my avatar) and not black. Sounds like yours was already aged.

Terje

Edit: for anyone who is horrified that I use a black aluminum pot- I figure if my best efforts with copper wool and a scotchbrite pad can't get it off, nothing short of sandblasting will. Boiling wort certainly hasn't removed anything.

I just boiled water in my pot for 20 minutes.....grey'ed up the whole inside. If yours is already a bit grey on the inside, (slightly more grey than on the outside), then you are set. Hell, it might even be already passivated on the outside too...

I was terrified of scraping off the oxide layer with the slightest touch on my first brew or two....but no, that crap is bulletproof, and damn near as hard as diamonds.

Back