Major Messup read and laugh at me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager_brewer

Face down on the floor
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a very simple Sammy Summer clone today. All was well until I went to add the yeast. I already had my blow off top on and the other end was immeresed in the bleach water solution. I noticed some od the bleach water solution was about half way up the tube and I wanted it back in blow off container so I lifted the tube up a little and opps the preasure from the carboy suckked the water right into the wort. I opened it and I can smell the bleach faintly. I guss I'll pour this one out. Lesson in preasure learned!

I'd pitch a couple packets of rehydrated dry yeast and let it ferment... you don't have anything to lose now, and it may end up fine.

I wouldn't throw the batch out, just bring it to a boil for a few minutes again. Then just cool it and pitch the yeast. That should evaporate the bleach, and if it didn't, you would be able to taste it right away, so no harm done.
BTW, why the heck are you puting bleach water into the blow off tube bucket? Aren't you overdoing it just a bit?

I had a similar incident a while back that resulted in some nasty chlorophenol off flavors in my wit. I've still got case and a half of that beer and I'm letting is sit for a month or two hoping that flavor will go away.

I had just barely pitched the yeast when this happened so I'll let it go and see what happens. I'll keg it instead of bottling it if it tastes ok after fermentation. But a mojar lesson learned here.

Yep, just use StarSan in your blowoff bucket next time around. :)

I put nothing in my blowoff bucket. Any bacteria that can swim in air against the co2 current flowing out through the 4' blow off hose and successfully contaminates my beer deserves the victory I say. Hasn't happened in over 200 batches and I feel safe for the next 200. Until that super bacteria with wings hits, that is.

With the sanitizers available, along with campden and other sulphites, I don't see the point to putting vodka, even cheap vodka, in a blowoff bucket...an airlock yes.

Yep. I've been buying the little tiny bottles for $0.99 for the airlock

HUH? why would you do that when you can get 100 times as much for $10. Those little bottles are very expensive you could be using Belvadere vodka for the price you are paying.

Blow off gets nothing . Its on there such a short time seems to be a waste to use anything but plain water.

I use salt water in my airlocks. there is not enough salt in the airlock to change the flavor of 5 gallons of liquid.

I put nothing in my blowoff bucket. Any bacteria that can swim in air against the co2 current flowing out through the 4' blow off hose and successfully contaminates my beer deserves the victory I say. Hasn't happened in over 200 batches and I feel safe for the next 200. Until that super bacteria with wings hits, that is.

Yeah, but it doesn't make that cool "fart in the bathtub" sound with no liquid in there...

A good reason to use Starsan. When diluted with a wort it does nothing to harm the beer (except dilute it) and adds nutrients to the wort.

HUH? why would you do that when you can get 100 times as much for $10. Those little bottles are very expensive you could be using Belvadere vodka for the price you are paying.

Blow off gets nothing . Its on there such a short time seems to be a waste to use anything but plain water.
Meh. It's like buying anything in bulk to me. Saving 8-12 bucks annually is just something I don't worry about. The little bottles are convenient and I don't have to store anything.

If you can guesstimate how much bleach fell into the wort, you can calculate how much campden to drop in to neutralize it. It should work the same way as it does for city water. I'd rather have higher sulfates than chlorophenols.

I'll give you an example,

1tbsp per gallon of household bleach is around 200ppm. 1 oz of this in a 5 gallon carboy will make about a 0.3ppm final.

1 campden tablet should neutralize 5 gallons of 20ppm chlorine easily as most people use 1 tablet to condition 20 gallons of city water (about 4-5ppm chlorine typically)

I'll ruin your plan with two words....

Fruit Flies

You get fruit flies anywhere near your blowoff bucket and you'll be in malt vinegar city. :(

I'll ruin your plan with two words....

Fruit Flies

You get fruit flies anywhere near your blowoff bucket and you'll be in malt vinegar city. :(

Who cares if the blowoff turns into vinegar? I'm not drinking it. I throw it out.

No fruit fly (or bug that the fruit fly brings with it) is swimming up the 4' hose against a steady stream of co2 and yeasty blowoff. Wouldn't make it halfway before it died.

Heck, there are people who use no cap or airlock ever, only a piece of foil across the top. I've done this as well. Still have never had a malt vinegar beer.

And like I said before, I've done over 200 batches that blew off with nothing but air in the blow off jug and have never had an infection so it is not really a plan but a tried and tested practice.

Just in case though: I do like some good malt vinegar. It is good on fries and I use it as the braising liquid for my ribs. Might take a while to go through 5 gallons though. ;)

Quick Update: Where can I get this Campden? I have never heard of it? I removed the beer from primary today and noticed no off smell but I am going to leave it in secondary for a week or so untill I keg it. I'll let everyone know the taste!

Back