Brewed my first AG; Simcoe & Maris Otter SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerzoid

Reaction score
How come no one mentions how much better AG brewing smells than extract???

I had a great time even though I only had the capacity to make a half batch (2.5 Gallons). Now I need to finish College so I can have the room for full batch's.

Recipe was:

6lb's Maris Otter

Boil 15 mins 0.5 oz Simcoe leaf 13.0
Boil 10 mins 0.5 oz Simcoe leaf 13.0
Boil 5 mins 0.5 oz Simcoe leaf 13.0
Dry hop 7 days 0.5 oz Simcoe leaf 13.0

My efficiency came out to about 65% which is alright to me considering it was my first time and was using an electric stove.

My LHBS only sells hops in 2oz increments so I said why not make a super hoppy Pail Ale. Now it's time to go back to Extract :(

Sorry no pictures, I was too busy:mug:

My mash temp was pretty irregular, but on average about 155f. I just used US-05 because I'm going to use the yeast cake from this for an Imperial IPA.

This recipe is relevant to my interests. I LOVE M.O. and Simcoe and that Weyerbacher Double Simcoe is heavenly (and at $12 a 4 pack it damn well better be!).

Piney in a good way.:D

Just to chime in, Chinook, Centennial, Simcoe, and Amarillo go into my DIPA. There's also some honey and honey malt in there to balance the ~80 IBU's.

Back