How to use honey to get sweetness and honey flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Nyholm

Reaction score
I'd like to make a honey brown ale similar to Dundee's honey brown (unfortunately that is a lager and I can't make them currently) and I am curious on how to use the honey to get the right flavor. My first kit ever was a Honey Cream ale and the honey was put in for the entire boil per the directions. I could not taste any honey that way and was wondering when to put the honey in to get the right flavor. Would it be a flame out addition, 15 left to the boil, or to actually use a little honey to backsweeten after I use campden and sorbate? I feel that dundee honey brown is actually a little sweet, like it would be at 1.015+ final gravity. At least that is what my taste buds tell me. So maybe it is back sweetened slightly?

I have 1 lb of honey that I would like to use (can get more), but was also thinking of making a recipe using a little honey malt as well, maybe 8 oz? I am going to use a brown ale similar to the caribou slobber and then add the honey to that. It seemed to have a very clean taste and was lightly hopped (more so than dundee's, but I do not want a clone), which is what I would prefer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Honey will ferment out completely. Honey will make the beer lighter in body and add to the ABV. If what you are looking is a sweet honey taste, go for honey malt. I would start with 1 lb of honey malt for a hint of honey flavor, a little goes a long way when it comes to honey malt.

The flavor and aroma of honey are delicate indeed. I've added a pound of honey to the kettle at flameout (the beer was a brown porter) and the honey aroma was all but non-existent. It was a stretch to say it was there. A year later I reattempted my honey porter recipe and used 10% honey malt in place of actual honey. The beer was delicious, but it didn't taste like honey to me -- it tasted malty. When I try my hand at a honey porter again someday I'm going to go the campden/sorbate route after fermentation is complete, stir in honey to taste, then force carbonate. I think that's the only way you're going to achieve the flavor you want. Also, consider brewing the beer to have a slightly lower FG for the style (ie mash low) so your honey addition doesn't make things too sweet.

Bottle with honey...slightly overcarb it and you will get a distinct honey flavor and aroma upfront...straight from the bottle and of course in a glass.

Also, consider the honey that you are using. Clover honey will add very little in terms of aroma and flavor...I prefer orange blossom honey but that is mild compared to some other types you can use.

Good luck

Good ideas. I think I may try a little of the honey malt to see the flavor it gives. Like 8-12 ounces. Then I might try to keg with the honey and see how it comes out. I guess I could also throw a little honey in at flameout and call it a triple infused honey brown :)

Does anyone think that would be too much?

I just did an IIPA with honey malt and bottled with honey...only 5% honey and I think it was too much, but only because I wanted a subtle flavor...if your after the honey taste...go for it. Becareful if you tend to not like dry beers though

Back