White fuzz on rhizomes, and now in pots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recieved 4 Cascade rhizomes a few weeks ago from Freshops, and at least two of the them had a white fuzziness on parts of them. I kind of wiped it off, and planted them. Now I have some shoots, but I also noticed there is a cricle of white fuzz in the center of the pot, on top of the soil, right above where the rhizomes were planted. I want to believe this is the same stuff that was on the rhizome, and is now growing in the soil too.

To make things worse, at least two of the shoots in one pot look like they have gone mushy and died. I'm praying it doesn't happen to the rest of the shoots, or the other plants.

I'm concerned it might be a fungus. I've never seen it before, but it looks pretty much like what I imagine fungus to look like on a plant. I'm going to keep the pots separate, and now that it's warm out, I will start putting the plants outside unless it's going to freeze at night.

Does anyone have a diagnosis/solution to this problem? I will take pics tonight when I get home.

On a positive note, at least one of the 4 plants has started growing like MAD!! Several inches a day! Time to start planning my permanent location.

Homercidal said:
I recieved 4 Cascade rhizomes a few weeks ago from Freshops, and at least two of the them had a white fuzziness on parts of them. I kind of wiped it off, and planted them. Now I have some shoots, but I also noticed there is a cricle of white fuzz in the center of the pot, on top of the soil, right above where the rhizomes were planted. I want to believe this is the same stuff that was on the rhizome, and is now growing in the soil too.

To make things worse, at least two of the shoots in one pot look like they have gone mushy and died. I'm praying it doesn't happen to the rest of the shoots, or the other plants.

I'm concerned it might be a fungus. I've never seen it before, but it looks pretty much like what I imagine fungus to look like on a plant. I'm going to keep the pots separate, and now that it's warm out, I will start putting the plants outside unless it's going to freeze at night.

Does anyone have a diagnosis/solution to this problem? I will take pics tonight when I get home.

On a positive note, at least one of the 4 plants has started growing like MAD!! Several inches a day! Time to start planning my permanent location.

Sounds like a fungus to me, but I'm a total noob so what do I know. At least one of your 4 is growing like a fat kid on cake :)

The white fuzz sounds like mold and should have been washed off.

Not sure about the ring around the rhisome but, the mushyness sound typical of overwatering. The soil should be moist not damp. Short frequent watering only. Not meant to soak the soil through.

I've got that PDF. Good reading. I think it might be over watering, although I haven't watered in several days. They are large pots, so I soaked them good a couple of days before planting the rhizomes. Perhaps they will take care of themselves with a few days outside.

I didnt' see any more of the sprouts dying off, but the others aren't growing as fast as the one plant yet either. They are still fairly small though. One of the rhizomes was significantly larger than the others, with larger starts. I suppose that is the one that is going nuts.

Oh, and I took another look last night, and now I'm not sure there is a ring of white in the soil. It could just be a small spot of the stuff. Optical illusion possibly. I'll move them outside during the day and see how they do.

UPDATE:

After emailing Dave at Freshops, he has graciously offered to replace my rhizomes. I'm still hoping they will recover, but Freshops has stepped up and given customer service that I can't complain about.

Homercidal said:
UPDATE:

After emailing Dave at Freshops, he has graciously offered to replace my rhizomes. I'm still hoping they will recover, but Freshops has stepped up and given customer service that I can't complain about.

Thats awesome...I got some rhizomes from beerwine.com
I had one that was nothing, a cascade that has did nothing and wont do anything you could see that from when I got it, also my sterling from them was avery weak to. I emailed them about the cascade and they did absolutley nothing. They have horrible customer service

Not sure if this is the fungus or not. It does not seem to be what is described in the Hops Manual.pdf. This fungus is "spidery" or "fuzzy" in appearance, like something that might be left in the fridge too long. It doesn't seem to be growing larger in the pot, and might actually be less noticeable than before.

Plus, the remaining sprouts are growing more and faster now, although my bines are mostly stem, and not much leaves at this point. I wonder if this is due to being first year?

I had two of my rhizomes from fresh hops do the same.
They didn't have it in the beginning but when I went to plant (this past Sat.) they had it. I just wiped it off and planted.
So far non of mine have sprouted through the soil yet but I'm giving it time to let the soil heat up and see what happens.

Back