moronicness leads to laughter - seal on lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrain

Reaction score
so i posted last week about pushing the air lock into the lid too hard and having the rubber seal fall right into the fermenter. good times...

new delema - i want to start another batch but need the second lid...which has not rubber seal...i was planning on not using a secondary for the stout i have going right now but i may not have a choice....can i buy those things at the brew shop?

sub question: I would have to move the carboy out of my "cooling station" (a tub filled with water and wet towls)...are there going to be problems if my secondar is closer to 77-78 degrees while clearing? or is temp not as important at this stage?

You don't need the rubber seal on the lid, as it is will work just fine. Back in the day I used to use my bottling bucket as a fermenter and the lid doesn't have a rubber grommet around the edge, and it worked just fine with no problems.

And yes, temp is always important at any stage. I'd try to avoid temps of 78 degrees because it can cause all kinds of off flavors.

If I'm reading this correctly, hardrain is referring to the rubber seal for the airlock, not the lid on the primary. And since he only has one such rubber seal, which is currently, buried in trub at the bottom of his other primary, he's in a bind (apparently, he has two airlocks, but just one rubber stopper????).

Am I reading you correctly, hardrain?

If so, the answer to the question, "can I buy those things at the brew shop?" is yes, you should be able. to.

Same problem with my IPA. Rubber grommet was not to be found in the primary though when racked to secondary to dry hop (where it went I have no idea, just trying to relax about it believing it went into the trash with the trub). One airlock grommet at LHBS - $.49 or you could do Lowes for $.29.

I don't really know why I bought another considering the airlock seemed to seal fine squeezed into the lid sans grommet.

Just had this problem and used saran wrap around the bottom of my airlock to make a temp grommet until I could go buy a new one.

"apparently, he has two airlocks, but just one rubber stopper????"

yup

these are some good ideas thanks all

Back