Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off, I would like to say hello..."hello". Recently started brewing with my wife, first batch went great, she showed a genuine interest. I get out the blow off tube and put it in, and she asks, "What's that?". I respond, "the blow off tube" and tell her what it does. Fast forward to second batch, I pitch the yeast and my wife exclaims, "Time for the blow job tool". I respond, "Sounds great, but can we finish this first?"

First off, I would like to say hello..."hello". Recently started brewing with my wife, first batch went great, she showed a genuine interest. I get out the blow off tube and put it in, and she asks, "What's that?". I respond, "the blow off tube" and tell her what it does. Fast forward to second batch, I pitch the yeast and my wife exclaims, "Time for the blow job tool". I respond, "Sounds great, but can we finish this first?"

It's always nice to have a blow job tool handy.

Go into most places here in the US and ask for an ale and you will be asked which one, bud, bud light, coors, miller? All are lagers. The general population here in the US has no clue about beer other than the big name breweries that serve colored water.

This couldn't be more true, there is a small little pub less than a mile from my house and their taps always change which i like, and on their beer list it had PBR labeled as an American Pale Ale, so i ended up telling the bartender and the next time i went it they changed it to say just Pabst Blue Ribbon and nothing more. but i go there whenever i can because they usually will have rare stuff on tap or stuff you can find around other places like dead guy, devils dance, or the norse legend from sam adams

I hope it's not a new trend. I have a buddy that does a Black and Tan with Guinness and cider. He swears by them, so my wife ordered one a few weeks ago when we we're all out together. One sip and I wanted to throw up. A waste of good beer AND good cider. I guess it's an acquired taste that I hope not to acquire.

Yea, Guinness and Cider is a Black Adder, Snake Bite or Poor Mans Black Velvet which have been around for awhile. I have served a few when I was a bartender 15 or so years ago. I agree, they are pretty nasty but I am a purest. We had a several beer mixed drinks, including a Guinness float. Seems they are making a comeback.

Yea, Guinness and Cider is a Black Adder, Snake Bite or Poor Mans Black Velvet which have been around for awhile. I have served a few when I was a bartender 15 or so years ago. I agree, they are pretty nasty but I am a purest. We had a several beer mixed drinks, including a Guinness float. Seems they are making a comeback.

Iv never heard of a black and tan using cider. the breweries here make them with a pale ale and stout/porter on top which is very good

pdietert said:

I went to a renaissance faire for the first time this past weekend, and I was drinking Guinness with sweet mead poured in...it was delicious. I love quality craft beer, but mom no purist. If I like something, I don't care if it's wine spritzer with an extra shot of estrogen, I'm gonna drink it.

I didn't overhear this about beer, but I did see it, and it is funny, unless they are your kegs.

Keg Float.jpg

Spoonmann said:
The wife and I were heading over to a friends house and I wanted to get some beer to bring. We didn't have enough time to go by the liquor store so quickly ran into the supermarket (publix) to get something. I grabbed a 4 pack of DFH 90, glad that they carried it. It was a little more than I would expect to pay at a liquor store but I was in a hurry. I go to checkout- Cashier -<as it rings up> "Wow that is expensive for beer" Me - "yeah, it's expensive for them to make" Cashier- "you do know it's only 4 beers right?" Me - "well aware, yes" Cashier- "you can pick up a 12 pack of bud light for how much this cost" Me - "well it..." and I was cutoff by... Cashier- "and you'll have twice as much beer!" Me - <realizing that the cashier did not have a basic understanding of 1st grade arithmetic, I decided to cut the conversation short> with a smile I say- "Thanks, I'll do that next time" Cashier- "just trying to help you save some money" Me- "thanks"

That happens to me all the time! I've gotten to where I just smile and nod.

I have a friend that owns a liquor store. He had gotten some Pumking in and texted me saying he'd put one in the cooler for me for when I got off work. When I got there he was gone and I couldn't find the bottle. I asked one of the two very redneck boys behind the counter if they knew where he'd put the Pumking. They both looked at each other, then back to me "The Wha?". One comes out to the isle and just randomly starts pointing at different beer asking if that was it. Finally I just grabbed a warm one and took it up to the cash register. He says "What is that? Pumpkin beer? What the hell?" He rings it up and checks to make sure the price is right. "Hell you can buy a 12 pack of Bush light for what that one bottle costs."......I know.

Dude at bar: I'll take the DFH (just looking at the taps)
Bartender: Have you had it before?
Dude: yea plenty of times
B: ok, here you go
(Wait 5 minutes and Dude comes back with a full glass)
D: is this the only DFH you have?
B: yes, it's the Chateau Jiahu
D: oh, I thought it was the normal one
B: um, no
D: oh give me a hef

I can't hate too much because the guy ordered a Live Oak Hef as his backup, but laughing when thinking about this guy sipping his beer thinking he was getting a 60 min or something and getting some crazy sake yeast mead/wine/beer mix instead.

Ah well, not that funny, just bored at the bar.

Ha! Girlie beer. what a friggin wussyboy. Give them a couple 7.2% doppelbocks. Or a barleywine @ 10-12%. It always kills me when I explain that home brew has just as much if not more ABV as/then BMC's. Then I finally get it out of some of them that they like the flavor of the BMC more. Why couldn't they just be honest to begin with? Why all the male ego posturing? Kinda like Sam Huston said once-"If it's so smooth,how do you know it's bad for you?". I think that's part of it.
It's male testosterone poisoning, most of us grow out of it. :)

I'd pay someone else ten floccin' dollars to see you do that! but you kinda gotta jump off a coffee table while you do it.
I think I've mentioned it on HBT before, but I knew a guy in college that could do that. (well, never tried it jumping off a coffee table, sorry).

Best part was, he'd do it on request. I bet in one semester he junked himself at least two dozen times.

I think I've mentioned it on HBT before, but I knew a guy in college that could do that. (well, never tried it jumping off a coffee table, sorry).

Best part was, he'd do it on request. I bet in one semester he junked himself at least two dozen times.

With folks like Billy around, he coulda paid his way through college doin that.

I was at a local English Pub Pizza Joint and they had a whole section on their menu of things like this. Probably 8 different Guinness and Somethings.

Black and Tan. Black Castle (Guinness/Newcastle), Black Tire (Guinness/Fat Tire). All sorts of weird combos like that

Good to know since I am in the Los cobos area and its the only beer I like so far.
If you're at los cabos (baja california) ask around for ramuri beer. They make a very decent imperial stout & imperial oatmeal stout (head retention sucks but their beer is tasty)

there's tons of mexican craft breweries up north so i really don't understand some of the folks who just said that negrA modelo is the best munich dunkel beer around here. And it's not a vienna, that would be victoria, both leon & negra modelo are munich dunkel.

that sort of attitude towards the mexican craft scene feels like if i was calling bud the only american beer worth a crap or even worse, the best interpretation of the american pilsner style

Well played haha

If you're at los cabos (baja california) ask around for ramuri beer. They make a very decent imperial stout & imperial oatmeal stout (head retention sucks but their beer is tasty)

there's tons of mexican craft breweries up north so i really don't understand some of the folks who just said that negrA modelo is the best munich dunkel beer around here. And it's not a vienna, that would be victoria, both leon & negra modelo are munich dunkel.

that sort of attitude towards the mexican craft scene feels like if i was calling bud the only american beer worth a crap or even worse, the best interpretation of the american pilsner style

The bjcp lists negra modelo as an example of a Vienna lager.

Easy there. Is it "attitude"?... or lack of awareness? For me, it's the later. I've never heard of a Mexican craft brewery, nor have I ever seen one at a brewfest, or even seen one advertised, anywhere. But I have noticed that Mexican beer seems to get very little attention from the craft crowd, and have wondered why. I definitely like Mexican beer, and would love to check out the craft breweries. Maybe you could start a Mexican craft brew thread and enlighten me/us.

Found Baja Brewing in San Jose Los Cobos and spent an hour there doing all 8 of their tasters. I was impressed and disappointed.

Their stout to me seemed like to many speciality grains were used. Too many flavor notes that blended into just blah.

The Pale ale that was more agressive with hops had the bitterness with little to no hop aroma or flavor.

The rest were better, I ended up buying a growler of their Swartz (sp) beer (dark lager) and my wife got 3 bottles of the rasberry lager.

The craft breweries are not on the tourist maps and this is a big part of the problem.

Found Baja Brewing in San Jose Los Cobos and spent an hour there doing all 8 of their tasters. I was impressed and disappointed.

Their stout to me seemed like to many speciality grains were used. Too many flavor notes that blended into just blah.

The Pale ale that was more agressive with hops had the bitterness with little to no hop aroma or flavor.

The rest were better, I ended up buying a growler of their Swartz (sp) beer (dark lager) and my wife got 3 bottles of the rasberry lager.

The craft breweries are not on the tourist maps and this is a big part of the problem.
Hmm, time to draw a new map? :)

General Beer Discussion: Not anything to do with "Funny Things You Overheard About Beer".

To many beers. You've run off the track.

General Beer Discussion: Not anything to do with "Funny Things You Overheard About Beer".

To many beers. You've run off the track.

As has the man from Taylor county;)

At a restaurant I stopped at to talk to a guy about an A/C service position a guy at the bar pushed a lime into a bottle of Blue Moon Pumpkin Spice.

I kinda vomited a little.;)

Thanks for the recommendation found Ramuri and Tijuana Brewing at Rock and Brew across the street from the hotel.

ForumRunner_20130926_215346.jpg

I think we need a traveling abroad craft beer list.

Back