Conways Irish Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopcop

Reaction score
10# 2-Row 83%
1# Crystal 80L 8%
8oz Victory 4%
4oz Special Roast 2%
4oz Belgian Biscuit 2%

1oz Northern Brewer 8.6% AA (30min)
1oz Hallertau 4.1% AA (10min)
1T Irish Moss (10min)
.75oz Fuggles 4.4% AA (5min)

Yeast: 1028 1.6L starter
OG:1.062
FG: 1.014
SRM: 14*
IBU: 25.3

Mash temp: 153*F for 60mins
Batch Sparge
Pitch Yeast temp: 60*F
Fermentation Temp: 63*F @ 4weeks

This was my first attempt at any clone. I think I got it close but not totally exact as you can see mine is a little darker. The tastes are similar too with CIA having a little more caramel notes. Mine might be a tad young to compare but they are close. I still have one more CIA and will do another test for flavor in a month.

When I brew this again I will decrease the Crystal 80L to 12oz and bump up the Victory to 12oz. If anybody tries this recipe let me know what you think.

Cheers

image-3547099977.jpg

Here's the recipe I used. The guy at the homebrew shop suggested using some maltodextrin, he thought it was the key to this recipe. I used it, and boy is there alot of head when you pour this. Next time, I would try with half as much as I used.

It didn't come out with the malty taste that I love with Conway's. I am getting a fruity finish, maybe due to the yeast. As you can see, the color is close, but I have a lot of chill haze. This one was bottle conditioned for 6 weeks and refrigerated for 5 days. Maybe another week in the fridge or two the haze will settle out.

In the end, it's a decent Irish style ale, but not close to Conway's.

Conway's Irish Ale Clone

Batch Size: 5 gallons
OG: 1.062
FG: 1.017
SRM: 13°
IBU: 24.4
ABV: 6.0%

Grain Bill:
10 lb Pale 2-Row
8 oz Crystal 80L
8 oz Victory
4 oz Special B
4 oz Biscuit

Hops:
.5 oz German Northern Brewer 9.6% - 60 min
1 oz German Hallertau 4.3% - 10 min
.5 oz Fuggles 4.8% - 5 min

Other:
1 tsp Irish Moss – 15min
8 oz Maltodextrin – 15 min

Yeast:
WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

Mash 90 min @ 153°F
Mash Out 10 min @ 170°F
Boil 60 min

photo1-58707.jpg

Sorry for not posting back for so long. I think it's pretty close to the actual CIA. After 4 weeks in the bottle it had that malty caramel flavor I was looking for. Just like the real CIA. Only thing I would suggest is my SRM was darker than the original. Conways just came on the shelves again in my area so it's time to make it again. I will put this back on my short list and post back when I do. Did you ever brew my recipe?

The recipe I used was based off of yours, which I posted in this thread. What kind of yeast did you use?

I used Wyeast 1028 London Ale. I'm going to brew up another batch next

Back