Cocoa nib additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobE

Reaction score
I'm brewing a mocha stout that calls for cocoa nibs. I think the coffee flavor will be pretty strong when I add it but I don't want the chocolate to be overly intense. Should the cocoa nibs go in the mash, boil, flameout, primary?

I use my cocoa nibbs like I would dry hops. After Fermerntation is mostly done and I leave them for 7 to 10 days. It gives a nice aroma and slight taste of chocolate to my Porter.

I'm brewing a chocolate raspberry robust porter right this minute. I had cocoa powder in the mash tun, and am using the chocolate nibs just like this, adding them to the primary after 2 weeks. Then racking to a keg two weeks later with the raspberry extract.

I think I'm going to add an ounce of niblets right around flame out and then try it after I add the coffee in the secondary. If it needs more, then I'll add another ounce for a week or so in the secondary. Plus I just started the boil so it too late to add in the mash

I have bee told that if you put the nibbs in the boil they will add bitterness to the beer so you might need to adjust your hops. I have always used them as a dry nibb so I can not say for sure.

That makes sense. I figured the coffee will add enough bitterness on its own. I'll do a flame out and dry nib addition

Yes, Si, Oui.......

4 ounces. It was actually cacao nibs, not cocoa nibs, but I honestly have no idea how much of a difference it makes. I'm sure it's a big difference when making chocolate, but in beer, I can't see the difference being that significant.

All my googling has lent me to believe that the ONLY difference better cocoa nibs and cacao nibs is the spelling. That it's the same ingredient and like color and colour people just spell it different ways. But it's still the same animal.

What did you end up doing with the cacao nibs? Did you put them in during the last minute of flame out, or just basically add them dry to the fermenter?

I've gathered all of the ingredients to make a chocolate bock, and wondering what the best method would be (I wouldn't mind more of a chocolate taste though). Also, if you're just adding them dry to the fermenter, how are you going to sanitize them?

Sanitize in vodka or other high alcohol spirit.

I'm currently doing a chocolate stout, and sanitized in whiskey and added to the fermenter after primary fermentation was complete (dry hop style).

Sanitize in vodka or other high alcohol spirit.

I'm currently doing a chocolate stout, and sanitized in whiskey and added to the fermenter after primary fermentation was complete (dry hop style).

I do a version of this as well. I let it sit in alcohol for a few weeks, but then I strain out the nibs, which leaves you with essentially an extract. This also allows you to easily control how much flavor you want to add.

Back