Critique my red ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollisBT

Reaction score
I'm brewing a hopped up red ale tomorrow, and wanted to get a few opinions, and maybe some outsider perspective. This is what I have so far:

10# 2-row
2# honey malt
1# wheat
.5# C80
1 oz C120 (pretty much just for a little color kick)

Planning to mash at 153°, OG of 1.061, looking for a FG of about 1.014.

I'm thinking about pulling out the wheat and maybe adding 1-2# of carapils to the recipe.

I would not add carapils it will make it finish to high IMO.

I like honey malt a lot but have never used two pounds worth in a batch.

What hops you going with?

Two pounds of honey malt *might* be a tad high, but shouldn't be too over the top. It should add a nice little sweet kick to the beer.

Hops are going to be 100% belma hops from HD. Looking forward to taste them. Shooting for about 55 ibu.

Poobah58 said:
2# honey probably will be over the top. Try a lb and adjust next batch if needed.

Hmmmm, are you guys thinking it will lend too much residual sweetness to the finished beer? It is within the suggested 20% usage rate, taking up just under 15% of the total grain bill.

I want the finished beer to be very mildly residually sweet, not very sweet, just want a little hit of sweetness on the back side, to balance out the aggressive hop schedule.

Back